PCV valve and Mass air flow sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PCV valve and Mass air flow sensor

bbqwolfe

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee,WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer xlt
I have a 2013 explorer XLT I bought used. I have not had the best gas mileage and today I noticed a fluctuating idle. I went by my mechanic and we decided to quickly check the mass airflow sensor. He found oil on the air filter and when he looked at the PCB valve,. It was nonexistent. We also noticed the oil was not draining and was filling the valve cover. Any thoughts before I remove the valve cover to investigate?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drain ports in the head could be clogged with sludge. Usually happens due to infrequent oil changes.

You will have to get something like a spool wire brush to clean them out. Unfortunately a lot of that goo is going to end up in your oil pan and clog the pump.

Best physically get as much out as you can before you rinse that trash down into the bottom.

Drain ports in the head could be clogged with sludge. Usually happens due to infrequent oil changes.

You will have to get something like a spool wire brush to clean them out. Unfortunately a lot of that goo is going to end up in your oil pan and clog the pump.

Best physically get as much out as you can before you rinse that trash down into the bottom.

Would it help to add Seafoam or similar product to help and possibly save the oil pump from clogging?

Is there any reason why the PCv valve was removed?

No clue as to why the PCV valve would be removed, unless it was clogged and someone did not want to replace it.

As for the Seafoam it may not be a bad idea however, be careful with it.

Common misconception is that users "Overdose" the engines with it. "If it says 1 can I'll use 2". It breaks all that stuff lose at once and the trouble starts.

I, personally, would say more frequent oil changes after physical removal of as much excess material as possible with 1\2 to 3\4 recommended dosage of Seafoam at every oil change.

It appears as though a PCV valve is no longer used but instead there is a baffle in the valve cover and for some reason the oil is pooling in the baffle. The cylinder head is looking nice and clean but is it normal for the oil to fill up in the baffle and not drain? The oil is going into My air intake. Is there any issue if I just create a few drain holes in the baffle?

BBQwolfe,

Reading through you post the side you are looking at should be where fresh air is drawn into the engine. This point should be past the mass air flow sensor so "no un-measured" air is allowed into the engine.

The PCV valve should be attached by a hose to the intake somewhere past the throttle plate. Anywhere past the throttle plate will have a vacuum.

The way fresh air is drawn in one side and sucked out of the other. If your engine is turbo charged then this would be a completely different set up.

At the risk of offending you "Are you sure you are looking at the correct thing?"

Please check for any connections on the other valve cover leading to a point somewhere past the throttle plate.

I know on my 5.0L it is buried behind the intake in the very back of the engine.

Back