Percentage of OHV's versus SOHC's produced? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Percentage of OHV's versus SOHC's produced?

Runnin'OnEmpty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Southeast USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
Does anyone have an estimate of the number of OHV engines that Ford put in the later model X's? From what I have seen, most seem to be the SOHC's, especially in the 99-00's.

I have a theory that Ford put the OHV mostly in the 2wd Sports, because they were lighter, and didn't require the increased HP and torque.......?:smoke:

Actually Ford put the OHV into whatever the dealer ordered to fill their inventory. The OHV came with the base Explorer (XL? & XLS) and whenever a manual transmission was ordered. Once Ford was able to mate the SOHC to a manual beginning in '01 they dropped the OHV which also happens to be the same model year that it debuted in the Ranger (the OHV was dropped from it as well). I don't know if anyone would have any actual numbers though besides Ford. Everyone here would be guessing based on what they saw in their own experiences. When I was looking in '97 I would say probably 50% of the ones I looked at had SOHCs, 30% probably had V8s and 20% probably had OHVs. Just guesses on the numbers though from what I remember.

Back