• Register Today It's free!

performance chip suggestions

larrydog25

Reaction score
City, State
Newark, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hey all, I am think about getting a engine performance chip to increase horsepower. Does anyone recommend or not recommend this? Also what can I do to increase horsepower? Any suggestions are great thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

intake, exhaust, underdrive pulleys, electric fans, there are all sorts of different things you can use to gain some power, but unfortunately your never really gonna be racing with an ex. (minus supercharging/turbo which some do choose to do lol) Do you have the 4.0 or 5.0? Also there are quite a few different chips, hypertech, Jet (I am actualy selling a jet right now on the for sale forum if interested) etc. Everyone has there own oppinions on whats worth the money. Good luck:thumbsup:

I have 4.0. Do chips sold on ebay really work? I'm not a mechanic, but would like a little more power out of the engine. I am also not familiar with a Jet.

I recommend an excal programmer-

Intake and exhaust work well with this mod
We have a site vendor, who will treat you right. Send him an email

www.hensonperformance.com

I wouldn't use any of the ebay chips that guarantee X amount of horsepower and X mpg gains but only cost $4. You have to go with an actual brand like Hypertech, Jet, etc.

PS. Jet chips just plug into the back of your cars ECU like most other chips, a 5 minute install usually with just a socket wrench and a couple drives.

Back