• Register Today It's free!

Performance Chips

kaatinthehaat

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT 4 door
Hello. I'm a newbe to this group. I've found this site to be very helpful so far. Since I started surfing the site a couple of weeks ago, I've made a couple of mods to my stock 1995 4.0L XLT (performance exhaust with 3"pipe, K&N intake to go on next week), which I bought new in 1995.

My question is this:

Has anyone put a performance chip into a 1995 Explorer? If so, was it easy to do and what difference did it make? I know very little about this stuff so any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!:chug:

Jon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A 3" exhaust is way too big for a 4.0 that is basically stock.

Installation of a chip is simple and well worth the price, I have and recommend an Apten chip. Tale a look at their website at http://www.apten-us.com/;

Good luck.....

Thanks for the quick reply, Al.

Actually, just the exhaust tip is 3", the rest of the pipe is 2.5", I think. I've noticed better power and it sure sounds better!:eek:

By the way, why is 3" too big?

Jon :D

apten all the way baby!! it's well worth it, especially during a group buy.;)

Apten Chip

Sounds good. Is it easy to install? Expensive? I'm in Canada (eh?:ca: ). Any Canadians out there with experience with Apten chips ordering and installing?

I appreciate any and all helpful comments.:thumbsup:

Jon (Vancouver, BC)

Thanks Al.

Sounds relatively simple. How much did the chip cost? I have emailed Brian Herron to get more information. Hopefully I will be able to get one soon.

Jon:bounce:

I live in Canada and ordered a chip, unfortunately Brian and I coulden't get it to work properly in my ex, but it wasen't from lack of effort on his part. He's great to work with and extremely helpful.

Thanks for the input Tonga3.

I have exchanged a couple of emails with Brian and after some discussion with him it doesn't sound like my 95 XLT will benefit much from the chip, especially since I hate the thought of having to use premium gas regularly.:eek:

I think for now I'll stick to the K&N intake and custom exhaust for increased performance.

Thanks again.

Jon:chug:

Back