• Register Today It's free!

Performance Chip Recommendations?

Jet Ski Puller

Reaction score
City, State
Clinton, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac 4.6
I'd like to install a performance chip on my 4.0L '94. Any recommendations? I'd like to stay with regular unleaded fuel if possible. From the info I've read, it sounds like the Hypertech chip uses reg unld but the Superchip requires premium? Anyone know about the Jet or KKM chip?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got the Jet..Running 87 with no ping..Biggest difference is in the higher rpm ranges..passing speeds increased, fuel mileage increased by 2 mpg...

what kind of chip do u get mdrut... im not too familiar with the chip MFR's

Mdrut stated he is running the JET brand chip. I'm glad it's working for you man, but in my experience the JET chip is a low quality product that usually ends up causing more harm than good. Tests done by various magazines (a few 4x4 mags and car craft) show that vehicles can lose power with a JET chip.

As for the others: Superchip and Hypertech, 92+ octane is highly recommended. Both brand chips have been used with 89 octane without pinging, but using a chip with lower octane gas doesn't give you the benefits that you bought the chip for, and you run the risk of detonation. The Hypertech is usually better at 89 than the Superchip, but still doesn't give the boost that it does with 92+ gas.

Basically, if you want to keep using 87, don't get a chip.

Jet Chips

I have to concurr with Alec. I had a jet chip (got it years ago when it was the only one available). but I never was happy with it. Basicly I couldn't tell much difference.

About 6 mos. ago I got the Superchip, and It's definately better.! For one thing, the Jet is a "Universal, one size fits all chip. The Superchips are individually programmed for the particular series of EEC computer that is in your truck (apparently there are several, for each year, depending on gearing, tranny, Ca smog etc.) You have to provide them with the code off your "box" so they custom program your chip The fact that the Superchip has to be custom programmed tells me that it really does more.

What's the octane requirement on a Superchip?

Originally posted by Jet Ski Puller
What's the octane requirement on a Superchip?

I was running Supreme when I first bought my Superchip last year. During the winter I switched to 87 regular after reading this tech article about gas formulation. I didn't notice any degradation of performance after the switch. I still average 16 mpg - city and about 18 mpg - highway. I still am running regular but I'll monitor it carefully to make sure there's no pinging. I speculate I'll have to switch to Supreme or Premium especially as it gets warmer during summer. I do recommend Superchip.

i dunno. superchip says 93 octane only, so thats all ill put in my truck.

About the Superchip: Anyone know the RPM intervals (every 400 or 500?) at which the curves are regenerated? Anyone know the answer to that question for the Hypertech?

Jet Ski, what do you mean? The shift points for auto trannies are upped about 3-400 RPM. The air/fuel ratios are just recalibrated so the computer knows how to handle the air it gets more efficiently. BTW, the chips really help when you've already done intake and exhaust. I'd do those mods first if I were you, you might be happy enough with them that you might not want to get a chip. And they usually don't require higher octane gas (except my truck didn't like 87 after my filter/catback mods so I used 89 until I got the chip).

Alec,

I was reading some chip information a while back and the way I understand it, these chips alter the timing and fuel delivery curves as well as transmission shift points. The more data points you have on these curves, the better the system will perform. That's why I was asking about the spacing (400-500 rpm's) between data points with respect to the two different chips.

Oh, got me there! In a head to head comparison of 2 similar X's, one with the Superchip and one with the Hypertech, both performed pretty much the same. The Superchip shift points are maybe a tad higher, and the Superchip removes the top speed governor, which the Hypertech doesn't always do. The big difference is if you ever get a custom programmed Superchip. Then they set everything to exactly fit your vehicle including all its mods.

Alec,

Where do you get the customized Superchip from? Do you have to order it directly from them?

Where's the best/cheapest place to buy the standard/or customized Superchip? The shop in my area only carries the Jet.

Where in the truck do you find your computer module to get the number to provide to Superchip? Is the number fairly apparent?

the computer is in the passanger side kick panel. just remove the screw that connects the pillar trim to the kick panel and the first screw on the floor then pull out the plastic retainer towards the front of the vehicle.

So if I have a manual tranny, do I get the benifits of one of these?

with a manual tranny, you get the benefits of new air/fuel and timing programming but you don't benefit from better shift points (duh!). For manual X's, I really recommend only getting a chip after doing intake and exhaust to fully gain from the chip mod.

check out the superchip post in the general explorations forum

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Be careful when you go to remove your chip. I went to my kick panal and almost started s crewing with my airbag stuff. My ecu is in the engine side of my firewall. Maybe newer models are even in a different place. Supercips charges $125 to custom burn a chip. I even have the form if someone really needs it. the take into consideration all of your mods. as the "stock" chip is set up for a "stock" truck. No problems with 87 or 89 octane here. May not get ULTIMATE performance as with 91,92,93 but still a kick in the butt over stock.

also, I heard Diablo canset you up with a pretty good chip setup. Anyone have experience with them?

Back