performance FPR/Fuel pump options? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

performance FPR/Fuel pump options?

I'm going to be upgrading my fuel system in order to handle a BBK blower setup that I'll be doing on my X later on this summer.

-Is an adjustable FPR necessary/helpful in a supercharged setup?

-I know that I can go with either an in line "helper" pump or an in-tank replacement pump....does anyone know if a high flow in tank pump is made for the X or should I use one for a Mustang or Lightning or something (how can I find out if another vehicle's fuel pump will work in my X?)

Thanks gents,

-James

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, you should have an adjustable FPR or FMU. I'm using the BBK fuel management unit provided piggybacked through the stock FPR as per the s/c instructions.

I'm running a Lightning fuel pump. An in-tank Mustang pump will work, but they usually need to be modified to fit. IMO a good in-tank pump is preferable to an inline helper pump. Most aftermarket pumps can handly a secondary pump just fine, but the stocker may fail if boosted with another pump.

Went to the parts store to take a look at a 91 X pump and a 93 Mustang 5.0 pump side by side. They look identical, except a different # is stamped into the Mustang one. Anyone know offhand what the lph rating is on the stock Mustang pump? The people at the parts store had no idea. Since it looks like the pumps are basically interchangeable, I guess if the stock Mustang pump isn't so great I can always get one from BBK that is intended to be a replacement for that vehicle.

-James

Alec,

I am curious to how that piggy back setup works....

I have been getting a lean code when I am way up high in the mountains at full throttle for extended periods of time. :)

I need more pressure, I want an adjustable regulator.

How does an adjustable regulator work if it just goes right to the stock one afterwards?

Can you give me details on the BBK unit? Thanks!

Honestly, I didn't do that part of the install so I don't really know much about it. The next time I work on my engine I can investigate where exactly all the lines go and let you know.

you REPLACE the stocker with an adjustable. the stocker is no longer used

Interesting....I wonder why you need an FPR still with the BBK kit since it has a FMU. I guess maybe they perform different functions? I wonder what would the effect be if one were to replace the stock FPR with an adjustable FPR in a BBK s/c setup. Could that allow you a bit more control with tweaking the amount of fuel going into the motor?

Basically all I know is that my stocker is still in there and still has all the lines going to it. Again, I didn't do that part of the install so I don't know how everything is plumbed.

the BBK, if it is like most other FMU's, raises pressure with boost. it does this by pinching off the return line slowly, so that pressure raises a certain amount with each pound of boost. this way, the regulator doesnt really matter. the FMU senses how much to increase pressure via a vacuum(boost) line. for every pound of boost, it will pinch off the return line just enough to boost fuel pressure a pound (usually).

Back