performance mod suggestions 01 sport 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

performance mod suggestions 01 sport 4x4

Reaction score
City, State
pomona, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
01Ford Explorer Sport 4x4
hello,
I recently started thinking of the idea to lift my sport (not to high) but as I've looked a bit into it I have yet to find any kits for the spot model i have rear extended shackles 3 in. and cranked the torsion keys to the max in the front

but i want more.. maybe 3 more inches

the other thing is I find the 4.0 lacking a bit of power I know she's 20+ years but still does anyone recommend and performance mods or tunes not really trying to do anything crazy just a bit more pick up and go

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not much you can do with it in CA.

hello,
I recently started thinking of the idea to lift my sport (not to high) but as I've looked a bit into it I have yet to find any kits for the spot model i have rear extended shackles 3 in. and cranked the torsion keys to the max in the front

but i want more.. maybe 3 more inches

the other thing is I find the 4.0 lacking a bit of power I know she's 20+ years but still does anyone recommend and performance mods or tunes not really trying to do anything crazy just a bit more pick up and go
welcome from the SFV! these SOHCs are already in a high state of tune tbh so theres not much you can do without forced induction (which afaik not carb legal) however, some things people have done is a 4.6 2v throttle body, larger MAF, exhaust, intake, and th like. however, they do relatively little for the $$$ you spend, all things considered.

also rough country makes a lift for the FRONT of these, liek superlift. its for a pre 2011 ranger, you ned to upgrade to sport trac rotors which are 12" iirc, but thats the only mod im aware of. for rear you can go SOA, or f150 leaves fit these, but for a sport, i imagine it wouldnt ride great.

On my 96 4.0 , I have a Hypertech Power Programmer III 41037. Not huge performance gains, but does make it more “exciting” to drive, and shifts are firmer. K&N FIPK and Borla stainless catback also on it.

Rough country drop bracket lift
Larger tires and the re gear the differentials
To 4.56 or 4.88 to get some performance

2001 sport available with the sohc 4.0 I believe the last year of the ohv 4.0 was 2000. Big difference in performance options depending on which 4.0 v6 you have

Rough country drop bracket lift
Larger tires and the re gear the differentials
To 4.56 or 4.88 to get some performance

2001 sport available with the sohc 4.0 I believe the last year of the ohv 4.0 was 2000. Big difference in performance options depending on which 4.0 v6 you have
i mean tom morona and supersix have parts available for both 4.0s, but nto sure which are carb legal

also rough country makes a lift for the FRONT of these, liek superlift. its for a pre 2011 ranger, you ned to upgrade to sport trac rotors which are 12" iirc, but thats the only mod im aware of. for rear you can go SOA, or f150 leaves fit these, but for a sport, i imagine it wouldnt ride great.
Just a quick correction here -- the '01-'03 Sport already has 12" rotors like the '01-'05 'Trac and later 4x4 Rangers. The spindles I swapped onto my '00 Sport came from a donor '01 Sport and I can confirm they are set up for 12" rotors.

Just a quick correction here -- the '01-'03 Sport already has 12" rotors like the '01-'05 'Trac and later 4x4 Rangers. The spindles I swapped onto my '00 Sport came from a donor '01 Sport and I can confirm they are set up for 12" rotors.
o, didnt know that! thought those were ST only haha

o, didnt know that! thought those were ST only haha
I was under the same impression until one day I brought may tape measure to the salvage yard and checked to see...sure enough, 12" rotors!

It was a great discovery because I needed 2WD spindles for my '00 street truck build and there are a lot more 2WD Sports than 2WD Sport-Tracs in the salvage yards here in the northern midwest. I only recently learned that the Ranger Edge is a donor candidate too.

Not really anything you can do for performance. The amount of $$ isn't worth the little you may get. Wrong vehicle for that purpose.
I did make my own air intake, bit it wouldn't be CA legal & gave a tad more thorlle response when it was cool out. FL summer with the AC was always a dog.

Back