Performance Mods available for 2002 4.6 V8 ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Performance Mods available for 2002 4.6 V8 ???

MCSOJeep629

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002XLT
I have a 2002 Explorer XLT 4dr with the 4.6 V8. I am looking for performance upgrade options. I am sure someday a Supercharger would be great but realisticly I am looking for a bit more subtle mods to start with ( ie. Exhaust, headers, chip upgrade, cold air intake, shift kit, suspension upgrades, and brake upgrades ) I am interested in where is a good place to start looking for these. Most upgrades I see are available for 01 or older. If they are for an 02 it is for the 4.0 engine. Can anyone help me out here ? Please, feel free to email me at crazizzr02@yahoo.com

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

might try www.explorerexpress.com other than that a flowmaster or other preformace muffler will work, jsut get an exhaust shop that knows that they are doing to do it for you, also some of our sponsors here on the site could hook you up with a chip most liekly

Hey guy,

The only type of aftermarket tuning available for your 4.6 Explorer is a Flash tuner. The new style PCM's don't even have a port available for a chip.

I've done a few now with some great results so feel free to give me an email at Bamachips@charter.net.

Thanks, Doug.

I too hava 2002 XLT 4.6L....

MCSOJeep629 said:
I have a 2002 Explorer XLT 4dr with the 4.6 V8. I am looking for performance upgrade options. I am sure someday a Supercharger would be great but realisticly I am looking for a bit more subtle mods to start with ( ie. Exhaust, headers, chip upgrade, cold air intake, shift kit, suspension upgrades, and brake upgrades ) I am interested in where is a good place to start looking for these. Most upgrades I see are available for 01 or older. If they are for an 02 it is for the 4.0 engine. Can anyone help me out here ? Please, feel free to email me at crazizzr02@yahoo.com

Thanks

Hey ya, birds of a feather, i guess... The only things I've done so far (since truck just recently outta warranty), is add K&N FIPK air filter, a Walker (Dynomax) exhaust and dunlop mud rover tires to replace those stupid wanna be truck tires... Just let me say that the FIPK, I put on first months ahead of the exhaust, I noticed for one I could hear the truck "breathe" and more responsive in the mid range gears. The exhaust added the V-8 "growl" but I didn't go crazy with the loudness, since I got neighbors close by, but can real hear that engine work plus added to the mid range punch in acceleration. The mud rovers, I can not hear whine on road unless I got the windows down... Hope I helped out....

Thanks for your help guys. I shall contact Bamachips for tuning options.

Steve

You can literally go haywire being that most 96-98 mustang GT engine mods will work and pretty much all engine parts for the 99+ PI headed (same as ours) mustang GT's will work. Headers will be different because they not only have to fit the engine but they have to fit the chassis of the vehicle. Our chassis is obviously different than the stang chassis but as for most other things it is game on. TB, MAS, Injectors, heads, engines, intakes, cams, I could go on and on......

Welcome back Robert. I mentioned you to him in his other thread. I knew that you have plans for yours, and he'd do well to follow your lead.
DonW

CDW6212R said:
Welcome back Robert. I mentioned you to him in his other thread. I knew that you have plans for yours, and he'd do well to follow your lead.
DonW

Hey Don I must have missed that thread. I have been kind of away from the forum for a little while.

MCSO if ya have any specific question just ask them in here so others can see or if you really want to then just PM me and I can give you a wealth of knowledge on the moddability of these trucks.

Back