pesky little problem with power locks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

pesky little problem with power locks

willfield2

Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 5.0 AWD
my passangers side power lock does not work....the power locks works fine on the drivers side when I press the lock/unlock button but when I press the button on the passanger side, nothing happens....checked the fuses and they all seem ok....anyone know what I should do to fix the thing or what fuse I need to check?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might just be a bad switch. I'm experiencing problems with my cargo area lock button, it will unlock, but not lock.

yea thats how mine started out, it would only lock, not unlock....then it slowly changed to you had to press and hold the lock button for like 10 seconds, then it completely stopped working. Anyone know how I could fix it or where I could get an OEM switch

Itd be way easier to just get a new switch(factory part) I fixed mine by opening up the switch,cleaning the contacts, and very gently pulling the metal upwards,increasing the tension on the button allowing the contacts to work...its really a pain,but I guess you can do it if you want to.....Lates.
Jeremy

Same thing happened to mine after my idiot brother-in-law tossed his cookies (vodka, beer, and a milkshake) all over the door and dash one night after he called me to pick him up from a party.

I was able to clean it (window swtich also) and it worked for about a year. Either old age or corrosion finally killed it and I replaced it with a factory unit.

BTW, I made him clean up his mess, steam clean the interior, wash the windows and wash the truck that night (3:00 am, my house) before I took him to his house.. To "help the interior dry faster" I told him I had to run the heater while he was cleaning up the inside of the truck..

Best regards.
hg

Will, check you local dealer, or you can check with Torrie at Fordpartsnetwork.com, he will probably be ale to get it for you a little cheaper than the dealer. I'm not sure if the switches are able to be replaced individually, or if you have to change the whole assembly. The Haynes manual says there is a pry notch at the back edge of the switch assembly that you should be able to stick a screwdriver in to pop the assembly out of the door handle.

Me too !!

I have a similar problem with my drivers door !!!

Sometimes it opens and sometimes it closes. i never really know when it will work.

Any suggestion what this could be guys/gals ?

If it's only the driver's door lock switch acting up, and the others work fine, I'd say it's just a bad switch. I've been lazy about it, but I haven't gone to get a new switch for my cargo area yet.

How much do you think a new switch costs ?

I don't have a cost, but if the switch assembly is anything like my Wife's Sable, it requires ;the entire switch assembly. Her driver's unlock button is real intermittant so I pulled the panel off to take a look, figuring I could go buy another swithc. Once I got it off, I found out that it has one assembly which contains all four window buttons, the window lockout button and the unlock button. Something like that will not come cheap from Ford. What I found on hers was that the Arizona heat caused the two plastic halfs to warp and separate making the switch contact intermitant.

Back