PIAA Group Purchase Pricing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PIAA Group Purchase Pricing

ok, as many of you know i've been working on putting together a PIAA group purchase to hopefully lower the price a bit so everyone can get what they want for below retail. These prices may seem a bit high, but compare them to other retailers and they are quite significantly different. I advise you to shop around, and if you find a better price let me know and I'll try to work a deal through them... I shopped around to several lighting stores as well as wholesalers and these are about what I can do for pricing on such a large order. Keep in mind this is indeed a group purchase so I will not be profiting from the sale (except a small portion which is going to explorer4x4.com). On top of this you will have to pay shipping, which will be anywhere from about $3 for a set of bulb's to about $9 for the 80 Racing Series. And don't worry, these lights will be packaged well.
If anyone also wants some explorer4x4.com t-shirts (found here: Dead Link Removed) and you can save on shipping!

Lights that will fit in stock locations
These lights are guaranteed to fit in the stock fog light location, many other models will but may require some trimming.
95-current explorers
1500, 1400 under bumper on each side of license plate without bracket, drill holes and use stock fasteners (excludes limiteds)
In the standard airdam (w/o foglight) : 940, 960, 910, 959 -cutting holes in dam required (template included)
95-current Explorers (Limited)
980, 1500 under bumper on each side of license plate
91-94 Explorers
980, 1500 under bumper on each side of license plate

Bulbs
Dead Link Removed - $60
Dead Link Removed - $60
Dead Link Removed - $25 for the pair if you're ordering the H3's to replace your fog light bulbs because that's what your manual says, please look at the bulb itself before ordering... it's been discovered that many truly are not H3's.
Dead Link Removed- $57.75
Dead Link Removed- $57.75

on the bulbs, if you purchase 2 or more sets they will be $2 off each set. Not much of a discount but hopefully some

Lamp kits

Dead Link Removed- $220
Dead Link Removed
The 80 XT's are the big dawgs, I've got 4 sets of them myself. They are also fairly expensive, but there the brightest they make aside from H.I.D. (the driving version is 385,000 candlepower, wowee!). They are approximately 7" wide. They are a little less then 3" deep, come with white covers (see pics of my Explorer to see what I mean). A few of the people on the board that have these are myself, Ray Lobato, and Rick.

Dead Link Removed - $330 for the whole kit (two lamps, wiring harness).
Dead Link Removed
The 80 Racing Series are there biggest light, these bad boys are nearly 9 inches tall, 8 inches wide, and 5 1/2" deep. They are dual-mode so they have a low-beam and a hi-beam. These don't come as a kit, you have to get two lamps and one wiring harness (as gofast pointed out earlier). For wiring harness you can either get the 22050 which will work fine or the 22150 which is designed for a higher wattage, so you could hypothetically upgrade the bulbs later if you wanted to (though I don't know why). These lamps also come with the covers. They come in driving only. I've got these on my Explorer, there big :). The $330 includes everything the kit would include (two lamps w/covers and one wiring harness)

Dead Link Removed - $180.
Dead Link Removed
The 520 series, as well as the 80 XT's are one of the more popular lights. They are a standard 6 3/8" wide, 6 1/8" tall, and 2 3/8" deep. They come with the grill-style cover. These come in fog or driving, and soon to be in MSR (see piaa.com for more info). You can get them in either chrome or black (chrome is more expensive of course). These are 85 watts and aren't as powerful as the 80 XT's, but they are cheaper. Some of the people on the board that have these are myself, Ray Lobato, Gerald Jarrett, and numerous others.

Dead Link Removed- $170.
Dead Link Removed
The 1500 series will fit many Explorers in their stock locations. They are a thin rectangular light and come in fog or driving. They are 2 1/4" tall and 6" wide, and 2 5/8" deep. I have these mounted in my back bumper and they make a great spread. These one's do not include light covers because if you mount them in the stock location you won't be able to use the PIAA covers. The covers are quite inexpensive though if purchased seperately.

Dead Link Removed- $155.
Dead Link Removed
The 1400's are small and compact and give a great spread of light. There what Rick's using as his reverse lights. The mount about anywhere and look slick! They come in fog or driving, and hte driving version comes in black or platinum. They are 2 1/8" tall, 3 1/4" wide, and 3" deep.

Dead Link Removed- $220.
Dead Link Removed
The 959's are the same dimensions as the 910's, but come in a fog light version. The 959's are SAE approved, which doesn't make them street legal, but SAE approved :).

Dead Link Removed- $230.
Dead Link Removed
The 910 series will fit many of the Explorers with the round fog lights as well as those with rectangular lights with some slight cutting, you have to specify whether you will be mounting these hanging down or standing up as they are designed slightly differently for ventilation purposes. They are 4" tall, 4 3/4" wide, and 5" deep. They come in ion crystal driving and clear driving. I had them in my 98 F-150 and I was quite impressed, plus you can mount em about anywhere!

If you want a light that is a dual-mode light (fog and driving in the same lamp) you can choose from the 940's, 960's, 980's and the 90 XT's. THe 90 XT's are the big dawgs, these are the best light (aside from H.I.D.) that PIAA offers (also the most expensive). The 980's will also fit in the stock Explorer location, and the 940's and 960's may with some minor trimming.
Dead Link Removed- $185
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed- $235
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed- $290
Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed - $120/set.
Dead Link Removed
These are not as expensive as the 520's, but not as good either. They are about the same size, but a bit narrower, and clear instead of amber. They are the basic light, no huge frills, but still better then many of it's competitors.

Dead Link Removed - $100/set.
Dead Link Removed
They run 55 watts which can be upgraded to the 85 watt bulbs with no problem.

If you are interested, please email Matt Adams at matt@explorerforum.com, or by phone at 303-437-1275. Once i know what lights you want I can get you a shipping price figured up and get the process started!

Please contact me if you are interested in purchasing several of lights, we can probably work out a discount.

[Edited by mattadams on 12-08-2000 at 12:37 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey, matt? how long do you think we will be able to get the deal? i still would like to have the two sets of 9007's, one set of h-3's and one set of 520 fogs, but i'm getting married on dec 28, and we will be needing all the money we can save up until then. it has been killing me not being able to spend ANY money for the past year, saving up for the wedding!! i will probably be able to make one big lighting purchase around the middle of january. will that be too late?

do you mean upgrade the bulbs? Yes you can upgrade the bulbs up to an 85 watter. The 520's have a few advantages over the 40's even more then just the wattage... well, depends on how you look at it. I like the yellowish glow that the 520 fog lights produces. If you want a clear, teh 40 might be a better option. I like the covers for teh 520's better then the grills for the 40's (the 520's are grill covers, the 40's use solid covers), and the 520 uses a better wiring harness. Either ways its up to you. Yes, paypal lets you use Visa.

Hey daylighter... If you dont already have the piaa headlight bulbs...get em! they are great. :)

nick

Cool. I saw the light bars... but relize now that if I dont have a bunch o lights... its gunna look retarded. Hey... I noticed they hold 5 lights. They are sold in pairs... what do you do with the extra one? Hmm... okay... how about the bumper mounted ones? I dont know what they are called... its kinda like a brush guard.. but its just a big tube that comes up and holds 2 lights. Do they make those?

By the way... at the Carr site they list 91-98 Explorers... but dont have any part numbers for it. huh...

nick

the carr holds 5 lights, but I'd be suprised if you were able to get 5 lights on. What I mean is even the 6" lights are too wide to be that close together. That's one of the things I didn't like about the Carr. Also the fact that it had a warning that came with it that read "this light abr is only designed to hold up to two 6x9" lights. Any lights added on may cause additional stress and potential damage" or something like that... I believe what you are referring to might be a safari bar? There's one made by westin... and there's one on e-bay right now! Also, most PIAA lights can be purchased seperately and don't HAVE to be purchased in pairs.

Anyone here with a 94 or earlier who had light mounted in the front? how do the do it without a safari bar? hmm

nick

I know of a few people that have simply drilled holes in the bumper and mounted them there. Most PIAA's are thin enough that that isn't a problem. Granted you could never fit the 80 Rally series on your bumper, but the 40's or 520's or even 80 XT's would more then likely fit with plenty of room to spare. If you can drill through your bumper :). A lot of people have brush guards up front too...

I've got two sets of lights on my stock bumper and one set inside the bumper. None were a problem. Just get out the drill and have some fun. The hardest part of all was getting a wrench into the ones inside the bumper.

Hey leebo... do you have pics of your lights up close? The only ones I can seem to find is the fuzzy one on your website and the small ones on the calender...

nick

Flyguy.....sorry for the poor photos. Most of those were done with a cheap camera and a scanner. I'm not sure if this is the one you saw on my site or not. I'll post it anyways. I've got 4 light on top of the bumper and one set of cheap BAJA's mounted in the little slot in the bumper. I couldn't figure out what that was there for so I said what the heck. I just drilled a few holes in the little plastic piece above the transmission lines and mounted them onto that. The only problem I've had is the weight of the lights made me lose a bolt on the plastic piece while I was on the freeway. If I ever get off my butt I'll replace it no problem. I'm sure you'd be able to mount some of the dual lights in the slot. The Baja's I've got are 6.25" long x 3.5" high x 2.5" deep. Matt....what are the dual ones????

View

Originally posted by leebo
Matt....what are the dual ones????

What do you mean what are they? You mean the models 940, 960, 980, and 90 XT? They are just a combined lamp that has both a fog lamp and a driving lamp in the same lamp. The switch has two buttons so you can either have one on or you can have both on.

What do you mean I never tell you anything?! I was pouring my soul out to you!!! You just never listen!!! Thats the last time I ever open up to you... Im taking the kids and going to sleep at my moms house.

Anyways... I think its the 90xt's you were thinking of leebo.

nick

Leebo, sorry sugar! LOL j/k. ANyways, theres a few dual mode lights. The 90 XT's are the big dawgs. you'd have to either do some cutting or have a brush guard for them, they're pretty big. But they are supposedly the best dual mode light out there, and Ik've heard they rock (but they are quite expensive). The 940 and 960 are basically teh same except the lenses are fluted a bit differently, and they use different wattage bulbs/wiring harnesses. THe 980's are the small ones. They are about the same size as the 1500's but have both a fog and a driving light.

Id like the 90xts myself... but dont know where to put them where they look good... i would reather see pics of an install first... oh well

nick

flyguy, here's the explorer with the PIAA 90 XT's.
fetch.dll

Sweet! Why would that require cutting though? But I would need a Safari Bar or somthing there to make it look as good as that... what kind of lights is mounted in the bumper there? hmm

nick

Originally posted by flyguy
Sweet! Why would that require cutting though? But I would need a Safari Bar or somthing there to make it look as good as that... what kind of lights is mounted in the bumper there? hmm

nick

He has the PIAA 90 XT with clear driving and dichroic fog lens. The big round ones are Hella 1000's. Those are horns mounted to either side of his bumper.
He actually had to do quite a bit of cutting as I recall... the opening for the existing fog lights is much, much smaller then the actual size of the 90 XT's. By the way, that's CM's Explorer. i haven't seen him around lately and he's only posted 4 times, I think he's hiding now :). I would expect the price of the 90 XT's to be somewhere in the $400 range.

you'd probably have to cut holes in the airdam, or remove it altogether if you wanted to mount them underneath the bumper. As for the two holes, I'm not sure what your talking about. PIAA includes templates for cutting holes, it wouldn't be too hard, I know the airdam your talking about, I took mine off :).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

something for the f-150's/expeditions

I know some on here have 99-new F-150's and Expeditions, in which case I'd like to offer something else PIAA makes (I actually brought it up to f150online.com but thought maybe someone here might like one too). It's a replacement air dam which comes complete with brackets and holes that are custom fit to fit one pair of 510's, and one pair of 520's. Cost would be $165. If you want the 510's that go with it, they will be $170. Here's what it looks like, I wish they made something like this for the Explorers but no such luck... yet...
Dead Link Removed

Back