- September 4, 2021
- Reaction score
- City, State
- San Juan
- Year, Model & Trim Level
- 1996 Explorer 5.0
Change fluid and filter first. Let it work for few days with new fluid and avoid meke it slip during the testI bought a used 2000 ford explorer xlt 4x4 and it was fine at first, took it to the beach also went on some dirt roads with it. I'd say after about 5 drives it started having some shifting issues. 4x4 works great/ drive is good until about 2-3 then it slips/ walking it 1,2,d is fine if you're super gentle with the throttle it won't slip but give it a little juice and the possibility of slippage grows. the reverse is gone when in auto, but in 4x4 it will just crawl backwards, also o/d flashes. I took it to a shop to get it looked at and they figured out the odometer was rolled back based on the carfax he had pulled from the vin. currently a reading of 83k but on the car, on paper it shows an inconsistency in miles from 260k to 83k. ive considered going to small claims court to possibly get my money back although the explorer is about 80% working and the other 20% i feel would just be the trans. i understand if the miles were rolled "what else could they have done" is an accurate thought and I may be way too optimistic but that's why i have come here
I guess the reason I am writing this is that I need some experienced advice, the engine feels good and the power seems to be there. the exterior is 10/10 and the underside is not rusted whatsoever. i feel like it wouldn't be smart to let this go because I feel with a little bit of work it can last for a long time.
I can probably sit here for a while and list out every option I have but to the best of my knowledge, this is what I've come up with.
- change tranny fluid/ filter and check valve body for any solenoid disconnection
-upgrade tourque converter keep original trans
-invest in a rebuild or used trans and upgrade TC
any response is appreciated,