picked up a used explorer with a pretty big problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

picked up a used explorer with a pretty big problem

I bought a used 2000 ford explorer xlt 4x4 and it was fine at first, took it to the beach also went on some dirt roads with it. I'd say after about 5 drives it started having some shifting issues. 4x4 works great/ drive is good until about 2-3 then it slips/ walking it 1,2,d is fine if you're super gentle with the throttle it won't slip but give it a little juice and the possibility of slippage grows. the reverse is gone when in auto, but in 4x4 it will just crawl backwards, also o/d flashes. I took it to a shop to get it looked at and they figured out the odometer was rolled back based on the carfax he had pulled from the vin. currently a reading of 83k but on the car, on paper it shows an inconsistency in miles from 260k to 83k. ive considered going to small claims court to possibly get my money back although the explorer is about 80% working and the other 20% i feel would just be the trans. i understand if the miles were rolled "what else could they have done" is an accurate thought and I may be way too optimistic but that's why i have come here

I guess the reason I am writing this is that I need some experienced advice, the engine feels good and the power seems to be there. the exterior is 10/10 and the underside is not rusted whatsoever. i feel like it wouldn't be smart to let this go because I feel with a little bit of work it can last for a long time.
I can probably sit here for a while and list out every option I have but to the best of my knowledge, this is what I've come up with.

- change tranny fluid/ filter and check valve body for any solenoid disconnection
-upgrade tourque converter keep original trans
-invest in a rebuild or used trans and upgrade TC

any response is appreciated,
Change fluid and filter first. Let it work for few days with new fluid and avoid meke it slip during the test

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a used 2000 ford explorer xlt 4x4 and it was fine at first, took it to the beach also went on some dirt roads with it. I'd say after about 5 drives it started having some shifting issues. 4x4 works great/ drive is good until about 2-3 then it slips/ walking it 1,2,d is fine if you're super gentle with the throttle it won't slip but give it a little juice and the possibility of slippage grows. the reverse is gone when in auto, but in 4x4 it will just crawl backwards, also o/d flashes. I took it to a shop to get it looked at and they figured out the odometer was rolled back based on the carfax he had pulled from the vin. currently a reading of 83k but on the car, on paper it shows an inconsistency in miles from 260k to 83k. ive considered going to small claims court to possibly get my money back although the explorer is about 80% working and the other 20% i feel would just be the trans. i understand if the miles were rolled "what else could they have done" is an accurate thought and I may be way too optimistic but that's why i have come here

I guess the reason I am writing this is that I need some experienced advice, the engine feels good and the power seems to be there. the exterior is 10/10 and the underside is not rusted whatsoever. i feel like it wouldn't be smart to let this go because I feel with a little bit of work it can last for a long time.
I can probably sit here for a while and list out every option I have but to the best of my knowledge, this is what I've come up with.

- change tranny fluid/ filter and check valve body for any solenoid disconnection
-upgrade tourque converter keep original trans
-invest in a rebuild or used trans and upgrade TC

any response is appreciated,
H! I have a 99 same thing as you!. Had it since 2004, HAS the "exploder" transmission , same as you. what was the problem with mine Is the internal oil ports were too narrow to pump sufficient oil to cool the tranny , so guess what! EXPLODES eventually! In some of them the servos actually blow out the side. Major defect from the factory but NOT a recall, THEY call it AN UPDATE! AND you have to fix it! The tranny has a letter " E " on the part number, cant remember exactly, but it sounds like you got one t oo. Mine went out with less that 130,000 miles.After that you will have problems with the wipers, There is a GEM module in the circuits and when it goes , guess what , there are no GEMS. except in the junk yards .In 17 years ,( I dont drive much), This GEM simply makes it more difficult to fix and even the drive train circuits goes through this little box, under the dashboard. On the internet , if your windshield has a small leak and it is very possible that water will destroy this GEM too! I have had two problems and less that 150,000 on it now. I still have the original air and never had even a leak nor a charge of freon! BUT Both defects came from the factory, Ford designed them to be unfixable and wont admit their design defects! Dont know what to tell you , mine is beautiful like yours but When your tranny eventually goes figure in the cost, but it will be a re-designed tranny , Hopefully, and you can wire the wirers direct from a NEW wiper switch that you will mount on the center console direct to the wipers . and start re-engineering the car to make it simpler. Doesnts make sence to buy anything new because the Govt office to prottect the environment is in bed with the car makers and the cars will continue to get worse and more plastic and more unfixable.I hope this helps you I did a lot of research, this last 17 years, bought a rebuilt tranny on the internet about 5 years ago, had it shipped to florida from New Jersey, paid less that $800. and havent had any more problems YET! Keep in mine the older this thing gets the more problems you will have getting parts because FORD wont make anymore , if they had lots of problems with defects in their design over the years.I am 75 yrs old the 15th of sept and try to keep things forever but this ford was designed to be unfixable and in the junkyard quickly especially with the price of mechanics,

Probably too late with current symptoms but this stuff works minor miracles.... you'd need to siphon out some fluid to make room of course....(hand siphons $9 at Walmart) - Don't forget to check trans level with engine running. It's a 1 & 1/2 hour drive from where you are at but if this "temp fix it" buys you a bit more drivability Pasqual's Transmissions in Santa Ana will do a complete rebuild / de-install / installation all for around only $1,400 -- (714) 542-5150 Tell him a guy who's dealt with him / sent him other business gave you this close ballpark price.
View attachment 342230
**** makes a mess inside for the next rebuilder, but that messy coating is what is able to provide the tranny with many extra miles beyond.

I truly appreciate all of your responses, to inform those who’ve asked. I got the EX off OfferUp and it was the first time I bought something that way. I brought a friend along who’s familiar with fords to check out the car. I did not have them bring a car fax, which yes I’ve learned a lot from this. The title states the miles on the odometer, as a shop ran the car fax history it shows on paper 150k to 180k up to 260k miles and then to 83k with INCONSISTENT MILES on the papers. As of right now I have gotten in contact with a well known trans shop and he quoted me 1500-2k for a rebuild based over the phone not in person. i have small claim court forms in hand. Just really torn between going to court or dropping money to get it running. The story this person had switched/ at first this car was sitting at a shop that is close to them, the shop didn’t want it sitting there anymore so they fixed it to sell not to run, then I got my hands on it and such and such happened. When I reached out saying why are the miles inconsistent, the story then was/ I got it off of a guy and wanted to resell to make money. Either way very vague suspicious story, I am optimistic about the car being absolutely shot, although if the miles were rolled or odometer was replaced the thought of “what else could’ve been done” lingers around in my head. I might give a call to the DMV as someone said they could do some investigation.

/\ I would go to the party who YOU got it from and put all the burden on them and CLEARLY STATE IF THEY DO NOT REFUND YOUR FULL PURCHASE PRICE YOU ARE CONTACTING EVERY GOV'T FRAUD BUREAU - STATE AND FEDERAL - AND REPORTING THEM. 90% CHANCE THEY'LL CAVE AND REFUND YOUR MONEY...IF NOT...THEN SMALL CLAIMS.

Yeah don’t let this slide. Lots of guys will put the blame on you and tell you to just accept the lesson learned and move on, but I think you have a duty to make sure this guy is dealt with by the authorities before he scams someone else with another vehicle.

That, and you paid for a low mileage vehicle, not a high one. You’ve been defrauded, and shouldn’t have to pay for that. This is a perfect small claims case.

Most states exempt mileage after 10 years so mileage on title vs OD doesn't matter. Check your state.

You still have a case. Otherwise everyone would be slapping low mileage clusters in 10+ year old cars with impunity.

After 10 years, you aren’t required to furnish an odo reading on a title, but that doesn’t mean you can falsify it if you do. If you falsify it, that is a felony in most states.

If it isn’t the most recent owner, you may have trouble collecting...but still let DMV/LE do their thing.

Ditto, attempt to correct the official vehicle information, both for you now, and any future owners. If you did nothing but lived with it, the next owner may sue you as the cause of the problem.

You have no liability in this car. You’d just sell it true mileage unknown, and most likely the next owner will be a crusher, anyways.

With that much mileage and a possible ticking time bomb (SOHC?) I’d get out from under this car by any means necessary.

Be a true shame to put a transmission in a 250k plus Explorer to have to turn around and drop another 2k on a short block or timing chain tensioner swap.

Back