*Pics* Removed my front torsion adjuster bolts... and some questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

*Pics* Removed my front torsion adjuster bolts... and some questions.

Reaction score
City, State
In the Middle
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Ranger 5.0
Hey all, I just read on this forum a couple days ago about how easy it is to lower our Explorers... so I thought I'd try it on my '97 AWD 5.0 before it goes in for an alignment appointment tomorrow. I just removed the bolts today and it dropped the front 2.25" from where it was. I'm going to go with a 2" block in the back.

Question about the block kit - I have limited internet access (about 20 mins a day), and from what I've read when searching is that the universal block kits from Autozone have ubolts that need bent to work. How much will they need to be bent in for them to work? And will adding the blocks mess with the rear traction bar geometry? I'd like to drop the back tonight or in the morning, but only if I can have it back together quick for an alignment.

Here are the things I bought for the front, will they work to get my alignment right? The pic is from the O'rielly auto parts wesite where I bought them from.

untitled.jpg

And here are 2 before and 2 after pics. I still need to get the back down some.

11-26-07001.jpg

11-26-07002.jpg

11-26-07003.jpg

11-26-07004.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yup, those are the alignment cams you need.

as for the autozone blocks, before attempting to actually install them, i slid the u-bolts over the axle and two of them fit fine. the other two spread out a lil bit at the ends due to the diameter of the axle tube. i slipped a deep well socket and extension on each leg, and bent them in until they were parallel again. also the pin hole in the block needed to be opened up to fit over the center pin of my leaves.

Thanks for the good info and quick response! I'll have to think of what I may have to enlarge the hole in the block... It would be nice to have a dremel tool, but I don't have one... Maybe a drill bit would work :dunno:

Be sure to post up pics when you have the back done!

No problem. Hopefully I will have better weather for the next pictures instead of a drizzly rain.

I am building a box for three 12's to go in the back, so I hope my 2" block doesn't drop the rear too much after the box is put in.

Back