Pictures of LED's installed in Cupholders on console | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pictures of LED's installed in Cupholders on console

BBQ_HotDogs

A Man Without Wheels
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer (R.I.P.)
Lee sent me these pictures of the LED's that he installed in his cupholders. Now for many of you this means nothing, but to those of us getting a little older, or more mature, cough cough, it means we can see stuff at night. LOL. So Lee sent me these and I had to reduce the size to post them, and here they are. Maybe Lee will come in and tell us exactly which picture is which and what he did to install these. I think they look great. For those of you camera buff's that have taken pics at night know what he had to go through to get these taken.

21512Cupholder_3-med.jpg

21512Cupholder_2-med.jpg

21512Cupholder_1-med.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, BBQ asked me to get these Pics in the 'Led's in Cupholder' thread to show the effect of mounting the LED's sideways over the drilled holes instead of thru the holes.

All the Pics show the green LED's that I installed sideways over the drilled holes in the cupholders. The light radiates out in a kind of 'baseball field' pattern. When the LED's were originally installed directly in the holes you would have seen a very distinct spotlight right where center field would be. I didn't like the 'spotlight effect' which is why I reinstalled them sideways over the holes. These pics also show the single LED's that I mounted under the dash on each side of the center console to light up the floor area a little. The 2 lights in the upper left of the pics are the lighted switches I installed to operate the the cupholder and under dash lights separately. Everything is green to match the stock green dash lights.

Lee

Personally I like the way they light up the floor. Since Aldive was nice enough to mail me back the overhead console I sold him, I am trying to make some LED's that go in it instead of the single spotlight type yellow light bulb in it now. I am also now considering the option of making some sort of light to put under the dash, under the rear seats, and in all 4 doors so that when you either open your doors or turn on the inside lights, you can see things on the floor allot better. I wished that Ford wouldn't have taken out these so called "courtesy lights" from Explorers. Use to be you couldn't buy a car that didn't have some sort of courtesy lighting in them, now we are down to fabricating our own stuff. I just need a trip down to Radio Shack and get the parts them I can tear away.

BBQ:

The underdash lights are just one of the Autozone LED's (also mounted sideways to minimize the spot light effect) mounted on each side of the center console. I also have some additional lights mounted under each of the front seats to illuminate the back seat floor area. I figured that since I was doing the cupholders I might as well wire in the other lights as well. Pretty simple to do. Probably not for everyone's taste but good for us 'mature aged' folks who always appreciate a little more light.

Lee

i think Carl (cmeglow?) did one of the first installs on his cupholders...looked pretty good.

-=bmacd=-

Back