LED's in cupholder install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED's in cupholder install

Hey Bashman and others who are curious about installing LED's in the console. So here's a write up for the install.

1.) Purchase the LED's from AutoZone. It's $10 for a 3-pack. I believe there're 3 different colors--blue, white, and green.

2.) Locate a desire location for the LED's. Like mine, it's right in the middle of the cupholder

DSC01952a.jpg

3.) Drill 2 holes. One for each cupholder. If I can remember correctly, you use a 7/16" drill bit. The instructions from the box will tell you which one to use.

4.) They come with a little holder so it'll hold the LED's in place. Snap them in the hole along with the LED's.

5. Here's the hard part...wiring! For me, it was easy because I used the wires from the ashtray light. For the ones without the high-series console or owns '97 to '01 Explorers, it may be a lot harder to find the right wire to tap.

But anyways...for me, just tap the wires at the ashtray light. Red goes to red and black goes to black. It was that simple.

DSC01953a.jpg

Like I said, this applies to '95-'97 Explorers with the High-Series center console. Those of you without the ashtray light, you can tap into any switch's illumination wire and it'll work the same way.

Here's the finished product:

DSC01956a.jpg

There you go. If you guys have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate. :)

A special thanks to:
Carlton (Bmxboy) for the idea
Davo (Digger196) for showing me putting them in

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the pics and write-up. I am still a little confused about the wiring though. But that is just me. I have absolutely no clue when it comes to wiring. All you do is splice the wire that provides light to the ash tray? What is the second wire coming out of the LED? Is that a ground or something?

Yep!! It's that easy. a 2-wire setup. One red and one black. It's one of the easiest projects I've ever done. Well worth it!!

Well, if its that easy I bet I will screw it up somehow:p Looks like I might have a little time waster project if I can find a power source to splice into. I dont have the high series center console :( It will give me something to think about while I dont have my X. I sure am going to have a bunch of projects lined up for the X at the end of summer.

Sorry for my stupid question, but why?

I have '92 and I don't think I have any power going to the center console.

is the light on all the time? i bought some last week for the headlights. i was going to put them in but my drill took a crap on me

they're the ones that blink by the way, i didn't know if your do or not

Texplorer, the power source for the LED's is the ashtray light, only if you have the long console with the rear a/c and radio controls. If not, then you can go up to an illumination wire from the radio. It'll work.

Chris, I did this for no reason at all. I was bored and got $15 to waste so I got it. This is what happens when I get bored sometimes, I get on the boards and always see someone doing something radical. That's when I jump the opportunity and do it, only if budget allows, of course.

Anyways...you can run a wire to the dash. It shouldn't be bad at all.

Mohog, they don't blink at all. It gets constant power as long as the lights (headlights or parking lights) are on.

The lights aren't distracting at all. It's totally awesome if you put a couple of bottles of water in it. Here's a pic of it:

DSC01759.JPG

That does look cool though at night. Maybe I will do that. Good idea.

Thanks man. Excellent write-up and pics. Now I'm just waiting for the LED's to come in. Hopefully they'll be here for next weekend, but I think I might run the wires this weekend so it's all ready. :)

Oh yeah...that's right! Chase did that to his too. I totally forgot. I installed mine a couple of months ago. But since school was such a PITA, I didn't have time to spend lots of time taking pictures and doing the write-up. I apologize for that but since I'm out of school, I finally have some time so I typed it up last night.

Chris, you should do it!! It's awesome!!

unless they are 12v LED's which they probably are.. seeing as tho they came from automotive shop.

However.. looking at the heatshrink.. it looks like the outline of a resistor inline with the led. did they come this way or did u sodder that in?

It's in-line, all wrapped up when I took it out so there're no problems with currents and stuff.

Yah I threw a couple inside my center console a year or so ago. Pretty cool when opening it up at night. Lights up blue. I used a refrigerator door style switch too, so they turn on and off when it opens and closes.

Hey 96explorereddiebauer:

What color LED's did you use in the cupholders? In your write-up they look green but in the pic with water bottles they look blue. I was thinking of doing this and was just wondering what color to buy.

Hey Josh S:

Where did you mount the 'refrigerator door switch' in the center console? I'm thinking of doing this too when I have my console apart. Can you describe the switch and it's placement in a little more detail. Any pics? I just finished putting in a glove box light and finding the right switch and a place to mount it was a PITA.

Thanks guys .....appreciate your help

Lee

i have to do this..some time this weekend pic's soon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back