pin stripe removed: write up & pics | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

pin stripe removed: write up & pics

removed the pinstripe... I finially got off my lazy arse to write this thing up. Excuse the darkness of the pictures, for some reason when CVS put the pics on a disk they turned them really dark. I figured I'd do a small writeup incase anyone was interested.

Weapons of choice:
Hairdryer
Fingernails
Extension cord

Alrighty, on a nice warm day...

1005817_17a.jpg

start off by heating up the stripe and then using your fingernails to get the start of it off.

1005814_14a.jpg

to remove I just kept pulling, heating the pinstripe that was still on the ex. DO NOT OVERHEAT it... this causes it to break often as you're pulling it. I was going ~1-2 in/sec.

1005813_13a.jpg

ok enough of this writeup hoopla - here are before/after pics. Whole thing took about 20 minutes.

1005815_15a.jpg

1005811_11a.jpg

1005812_12a.jpg

1005810_10a.jpg

1005809_09a.jpg

1005808_08as.jpg

1005805_05a.jpg

1005801_01a.jpg

1005803_03a.jpg

1005804_04a.jpg

Here is the ratsnest I was left with when I was done.

Removing the pinstripe revealed a ridge in the bodywork, which I think looks really really really good uncovered. I found a very small dent that had been covered up by the pinstripe, but oh well. I havn't washed the beast since I removed the stripe, so I dont know if the current color differences where the stripe was are permanent . Trim/bumpers are getting painted in about a week when my friend gets back from FL and I can use his garage... so look for pics soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I want to see what those saleen wheels look like in person one day compared to mr 18'' white bullets too. And I can show you my beautiful new rollpan!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Wow, your driveway kind of looks like mine. An Explorer and a CR-V. Well, except for mine is a circle drive that leads to a 2 1/2 car garage that I just straightened up so now the bike/trailer/Explorer/CR-V all fit again.:D

cr-v was actually someone visiting... and if someone mentions parking their car in a garage again, I'll smack 'em =P

We actually have a dead end right infront of our house that is nice to work in during the warm weather.

man- you have no right to complain

i work out of my garage all the time up here in minnesota.

on a good day my garage is 10 degrees, on a bad one in the winter its 0-10 below 0

if i lived down south like you i'd be out with a t-shirt on fiberglassing.

right - but I need to be someplace warm to paint =P

Originally posted by expo5.0

on a good day my garage is 10 degrees, on a bad one in the winter its 0-10 below 0

Amen to that :D

Originally posted by expo5.0

:D Yea, and I live in northern minnesota and I still work in a T-Shirt this time of year.

Originally posted by hydroxy
right - but I need to be someplace warm to paint =P

What like a Blowtherm heated down draft sealed paint booth ?

Sorrry man.
Had to do it !!!!!!!

Looks better, definitely. The write up is a bit long though for such a simple project. ;) :D

what..do you want a heated garage like mine?LOL
2003-12-24%20003.JPG

I've got dibs on the "How to put gas in your Explorer" write-up.

I think it is more along the lines of 'how to heat your garage with your explorer.... leave it running w/ the door closed!!!'

btw, I could smack you right now LTD... I was sanding my bumpers tonight when it was 45 degrees out. I had to put a tarp over everything so that I can finish it when the rain stops.

ohh poor baybe....lol..trust me a 75degree garage with a sound system is not all it's cracked up to be..trust me!!(NOT..LOL)

it's only a 6 car garage..

"I had to put a tarp over everything so that I can finish it when the rain stops."
that's sad..lol

just messin with ya

You're lucky you live far away...:fire: :fire:

12 car shop, blowtherm heated down draft paint booth,
air compressors, heated, well lit.

I love my job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but is it at your house?...lol im just spoiled

less than a 10 mineut drive

how far is it from northern va? :D

Crofton Maryland
about ten miles north of Annapolis.
Look at a road map.
Find where I-97 and Maryland 3 intersect.
Right there.

With NoVa. traffic there is no telling how long it will take to get there.

Back