Pin stripe removal

Jay57nj

Reaction score
City, State
Haddon Township, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer
Hi All:

Recently purchased a left front fender from a local boneyard for my Mounty to replace the dented version. The paint is an exact match, but the pin striping is not.

Would like to know how to remove the old pin stripe (best method), and how I might find a way to match the double gold stripe on the rest of the truck.

Thanks for your advice.

-Jay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

use a heat gun to warm the decal/pinstripe and pull at angle(like removing tape)

find pinstripes of the appropriate size and go to town or perhaps find a decal set on EBAY?

Just pull it off and leave it off. Usually looks better. Plus its cheaper:thumbsup:

Hi All:

Recently purchased a left front fender from a local boneyard for my Mounty to replace the dented version. The paint is an exact match, but the pin striping is not.

Would like to know how to remove the old pin stripe (best method), and how I might find a way to match the double gold stripe on the rest of the truck.

Thanks for your advice.

-Jay
The heat gun tip, and then use OOPS or GOO GONE to clean off the adhesive.

DO NOT USE those products...

Use ONLY Pure Citrus

It is available at The Home Depot. Ask ANY associate where it is, and they'll show you. EVERY store uses it to clean the adhesives off everything from Painted surfaces, to Aluminum and Stainless Steel.

It will NOT damage a clear coat, unlike some of the other products.

Oh yeah....it's advertised as an Air Freshener....not an adhesive or graffiti remover..

Ryan

DO NOT USE those products...

Use ONLY Pure Citrus

It is available at The Home Depot. Ask ANY associate where it is, and they'll show you. EVERY store uses it to clean the adhesives off everything from Painted surfaces, to Aluminum and Stainless Steel.

It will NOT damage a clear coat, unlike some of the other products.

Oh yeah....it's advertised as an Air Freshener....not an adhesive or graffiti remover..

Ryan
And why not use these products? I have used OOPS for a number of years without any problems. Of course, I don't pour it from the bottle and let it run down the side of my truck. Used properly,and with a little common sense,which seems to be in short supply these days, it is a good product for removing adhesive residue from any number of finishes. I have NEVER damaged any paint finish. Just remove the adhesive residue and wax the area. I am not saying there are not other good cleaners out there, I am just saying what I have used with great results

I use either Rapid Remover or Goo-Gone. Goo Gone is safe for factory automotive finishes for sure, and "Oops" is a simple xylene product.

I like the Rapid Remover since it's water based, we use it at work in our graphics department, it's good stuff.

Back