Ping...!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ping...!!!

SPORT...I used Fel-Pro 2 piece metal gaskets, they actually came in a set with the fuel rail gasket, upper intake manifold gasket and valve cover gaskets.

Fel-Pro says that the 1 piece lower intake gasket is a bad idea because it supposedly holds or lifts the lower intake higher than it should be, resulting in leaks. They say their 2 piece design allows the manifold to sit lower. I honestly don't know the validity of this.

I can tell you that getting the 2 piece gaskets to stay in place while you finagle the intake manifold into place is a major PITA.

Remember that your three plugs on the driverside had OIL on them and even though you clean them up with a rag and so forth, they can become useless due to so much OIL being on them for so long, whether it is 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years OIL can make a plug become less responsive.

OIL into the cylinders can/will cause PING as OIL does not combust properly.

----------

Now i don't know as i am not there to see them, but this is my opinion. I would change them again so that i knew i had new plugs in there OIL free, but thats just me, but before i do that i would seafoam it again.

You can or should pull the old ones out right now to look at them to see if any oil is on them or any type of deposit.

The other thing is you were getting oil into the chambers which the Pistons and bottom part of the valves will have that black oily residue still on them and that may take some time to fully burn off = OILY residue = PING. This is a known fact about OHV and even SOHC motors that have the tube from the OIL filler going Into the Intake and all have the PCV valve portion that allows a slight oil to get into the intake air and that passes down to the chambers. This is why so many FORDS have this PING over time or within the first 1-5 years, CHEVY is no better, neither is DODGE as they can ping as well.

You may also want to check and retorque the intake manifold, fuel rail and upper plenum bolts, problem is you can't get to the intake manifold bolts that are right under the plenum to retorque them, so just do what ya can see and get too.

Or

Yes get some more seafoam and use about 1/3 in gas tank to 1/4 of gas and then use rest of it in the intake.

Its not CARBON persay you have, but in fact OIL residue still left over.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MAD that's a great assumption...I never thought about that!!!

You know, when I had my valve covers off, they were just NASTY on the inside. Just gooed/tarred up with nasty oil.

I don't know if this was due to the previous owner using crappy oil or not changing the oil regularly, but I said to myself, oh man these things look like hell!!! For 80K miles I would have expected MUCH cleaner parts.

Oh, I did change the bank 2 plugs again. So we'll see!!!

I've also not driven enough to see if my oil consumption has been reduced.

MAD that's a great assumption...I never thought about that!!!

You know, when I had my valve covers off, they were just NASTY on the inside. Just gooed/tarred up with nasty oil.

I don't know if this was due to the previous owner using crappy oil or not changing the oil regularly, but I said to myself, oh man these things look like hell!!! For 80K miles I would have expected MUCH cleaner parts.

Oh, I did change the bank 2 plugs again. So we'll see!!!

I've also not driven enough to see if my oil consumption has been reduced.

At 80K!!... wow i would suspect it may have never been changed for at least 2-3 years at a time if its that bad of a build up.

There is a normal build up over time like mine was, but only a thin layer or buildup and mine is 15 years old, but had oil and filter changed once a year since its birth or at times twice a year depending on travel miles the previous owner put on the truck that year.

Thats good you did the plugs again on the side it had oil on, now maybe try seafoaming it like i mentioned in take and in intake again.

Yeah, I KNOW :mad:

BUT...to be fair, the rest of the motor didn't look bad!!! Well, as much as I could see with the intake and valve covers off.

That's why I said what the heck why are the insides of these covers so nasty?!

IF I get this oil consumption under control I'm going right to Amsoil. That stuff cleans GREAT.

Ran that in my Wrangler and that motor was CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN and stayed that way on the inside. Like unbelievably clean.

I just switched from Valvoline 10w30 to Mobil 1000 10w30 and i will see how it does compared to Valvoline.

Valvoline has been good thusfar, but i hear and read Mobil 1000 was better, so i shall see.

I have always used Motorcraft oil filter and same with previous owner.

I would do as MadExplorer 93 says with the clean out and new plugs, but if the ping comes back pull the plugs and check for carbon deposits on the center porcelain in the electrode if there is, the oil is leaking from within, on the lower intake with your new gaskets. For that I would go to Ford and replace them with the Motorcraft ones. I'm still running the motor that I done in 93 and still no problems. Trust Motorcraft on this one.

Back