piston and rod replacement | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

piston and rod replacement

IMP, the sad thing is i have a good set of micrometers that is how i realized the piston was too small when i took it back out. I am very disappointed in myself for not taking the time to measure. and by 50mm i did mean .50mm which turns out to be .020 in oversize.

Number4, My experience is mostly with 2 & 4 stroke motocross engines and normally a quick hone is all that is needed to bring a cylinder back to life as long as there was no catastrophic failure. but that is no excuse i should have miked the cylinder anyway.

I appreciate hearing from a BIG man! I have spent a lifetime making mistakes, and try to admit to the consequences, as you just did. Good for you! imp

How fast can a revving engine be stopped, without breaking something in two? Wish I knew. I am guessing the amount of power needed to stop all that spinning mass in less than one crank rotation would be incredibly high, enough to break the block in half.

I have seen the aftermath of a big bore slow speed locking up and snapping a flywheel off. You would be surprised at how much damage a rolling flywheel can do to a building.

Basically the compressor side got a slug of liquid and jerked the crank to a halt. Flywheel popped off and rolled down the building walkway smashing everything in its path.

Remember these engines run at about 300 RPM but make anywhere from 2,000 to 10,000 horsepower depending on the model.

Back