Playing with oil! :D

zackdeha

Reaction score
City, State
Bellingham, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Explorer XLT
Hello everyone!,

well ive got a ticker! lol well my baby ticks (91 xlt 4w) and its been that way for a while... usually i just add another quart and shamwow! its gone. but recently its been still making the tick. so i think to my self hmm... rod? lifter? but it does not tick the whole time just till she warms up. THEN, the oil gauge is starting to fluctuate from O to A in Normal.

ive got over 210k and im thinkin maybe the oil pump?

does anyone have any ideas? i figure if thats the problem that i would do it myself but then again dont you have to lift the motor to change it or is that wrong?

any tips please. have a good one :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Post a soundclip.

The rockers and pushrods are known to wear.

Hello everyone!,

well ive got a ticker! lol well my baby ticks (91 xlt 4w) and its been that way for a while... usually i just add another quart and shamwow! its gone. but recently its been still making the tick. so i think to my self hmm... rod? lifter? but it does not tick the whole time just till she warms up. THEN, the oil gauge is starting to fluctuate from O to A in Normal.

ive got over 210k and im thinkin maybe the oil pump?

does anyone have any ideas? i figure if thats the problem that i would do it myself but then again dont you have to lift the motor to change it or is that wrong?

any tips please. have a good one :salute:

I fixed this problem with a can of Engine Restore.:usa:

I fixed this problem with a can of Engine Restore.:usa:

Thank you... I'm tired of seeing people telling you to just "run premium" in it. It seems 95% of people on here think that's an actual solution. I haven't seen any posts where someone actually fixed this with other means besides putting premium fuel in it. I was going to try to put a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer in it on my next oil change. But I'll try this if that doesn't work. They got this stuff at Advanced or Wal-Mart or anything?

I really like seafoam. It is similar to engine restorer. I dump half the can into a vacuum line with the engine running, and half in the oil. Make sure to do it in a ventilated area because I get a big cloud of white smoke out the exhaust when I do this. Also make sure to change your oil after a couple days. I don't think it is a good idea to have a solvent in you oil for a long period of time. This stuff worked wonders on my tick. I was amazed.

Thank you... I'm tired of seeing people telling you to just "run premium" in it. It seems 95% of people on here think that's an actual solution. I haven't seen any posts where someone actually fixed this with other means besides putting premium fuel in it. I was going to try to put a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer in it on my next oil change. But I'll try this if that doesn't work. They got this stuff at Advanced or Wal-Mart or anything?

I got mine at Autozone, but I'm sure it's available elsewhere. BTW, I put it in over two years ago, and have been through several oil changes, but the lifters are quiet as a mouse. I fixed the fluctuations with my oil pressure by installing a new sending unit, easy and cheap.

Speaking of using premium gas, a solution many think is good to correct ping, a TSB from Ford on the Gen I's specifically recommends against this, and said that using premium would actually contribute to the problem. The solution for ping is decarbonization, sucking the solvent, such as SeaFoam, through the vacuum line that goes to the fuel vapor canister. Other issues such as leaking intake manifold gaskets may be contributors as well, or a bad MAF sensor. Once the combustion chambers have been decarbonized, replace the plugs with MOTORCRAFT plugs, not those damned Bosch 4-prongers that a lot of folks use...they contribute to ping as well. Hope this helps.:usa:

I really like seafoam. It is similar to engine restorer. I dump half the can into a vacuum line with the engine running, and half in the oil. Make sure to do it in a ventilated area because I get a big cloud of white smoke out the exhaust when I do this. Also make sure to change your oil after a couple days. I don't think it is a good idea to have a solvent in you oil for a long period of time. This stuff worked wonders on my tick. I was amazed.

I like SeaFoam as well, but I would respectfully disagree with you that it is a similar product to EngineRestore. SeaFoam is pure solvent, highly flamable and volatile, with a viscosity of rubbing alcohol. EngineRestore has the viscosity of light motor oil, and has ingredients that help "seal up" areas in the engine that rely on oil pressure...such as a lifter.:usa:

Thanks for the info. I am not familiar with Engine Restorer. I just assumed they were similar.

When you use sea foam, do you just feed it into the brake booster vacuum line? Some vids I've seen on Youtube show people putting it in their gas tank and oil too. Is this recommended? Thanks in advance.

When you use sea foam, do you just feed it into the brake booster vacuum line? Some vids I've seen on Youtube show people putting it in their gas tank and oil too. Is this recommended? Thanks in advance.

Ford recommends feeding the SeaFoam in through the vacuum line to the charcoal canister...then shutting the engine down for about an hour...then cranking it an driving it in low gear at over 3,000 RPM...then repeat the process. Then, change the oil and filter, and the plugs.

SeaFoam says on the can that you can use it in the gas and oil as well. I have used it in the gas as an injector cleaner, seemed to work OK. I now use Lucas Injector cleaner on a regular basis. I have never used SeaFoam in the oil, but if I did, I would probably drive it for about 10 miles, and change the oil and filter.:usa:

Ford recommends feeding the SeaFoam in through the vacuum line to the charcoal canister...then shutting the engine down for about an hour...then cranking it an driving it in low gear at over 3,000 RPM...then repeat the process. Then, change the oil and filter, and the plugs.

SeaFoam says on the can that you can use it in the gas and oil as well. I have used it in the gas as an injector cleaner, seemed to work OK. I now use Lucas Injector cleaner on a regular basis. I have never used SeaFoam in the oil, but if I did, I would probably drive it for about 10 miles, and change the oil and filter.:usa:

Cool, thanks, Ricco. I'm gonna get me some of this next time I'm out and see if it helps my pinging.

Back