Please give some info on 1.5" body lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please give some info on 1.5" body lift

Sloalty

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt 4.0
I want to do a 1.5" body lift. the same one i see in the 3rd gen forum for 50 bucks. My question is the 3rd gen can do the this lift with out adjusting bumpers and not having to add an extended steering stem. Has anyone done this lift on a 2nd gen and can i just lossen my steering stem and when finished tighten it back up like the 3rd gen?

Reason i only want 1.5" is i have and only will have 31" tires, and with the TT and shackles i think it will sit just right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not so quick, not all steering column are exact with measurements of playability, you will have to see how much rm you have to play with on the connection. And I would not recommend doing that as if that was to come lose at the slightest amount, that steering shaft is going to jump right out and then you are screwed and anyone driving around you too. Be smart, and do it right, not half ass and kill someone trying to cut corners.

Good train of thought for success, "Safety first, Stupidity Later". :thumbsup:

Mine still reached with the 3 inch body lift. I put the extension on any ways because I didn't know by how much it reached.

Ideally, that connection at the steering arm is the weakest link in the steering geometry. When you pull that out to lengthen the arm, you inadvertently add increase torque bind at that point. Not that the steering force changed, but that the support that the male end gives to the strength of the connection. When you pull it out it decreases strength there.

Whoa... 1.5 inch body lift for $50 bucks? Can someone link this?

To be honest, its hard to say weather or not you can get away with not adjusting bumpers, it will look stupid if you dont, you can however get away with not doing a steering extension or anything else for that matter, just bumpers and possibly bolts.

I did a 2 in sloped body to level out my SOA out back, here is a link to the 3 in body lift blocks, only 3.75 a piece, http://www.xtremeterrain.com/3tallx...pping&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=googshop just cut them in half so you only need 5 of them. You will need bolts also, I think I spent just over 30 bucks for my 2in body lift. You shouldn't need a steering extension with 1.5 as I did not for 2 in. Go to the bottom of the first page on this link http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265465 for body mount bolt sizes, you should be able to move some around so you shouldn't have to buy all of them.

Back