colintrax

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I finally got a real job, so now I got some cash to spend! :D
I want to do a small lift on the explorer and run a 32" all terrain. 235/85r16 is what I'm looking at.
The 1.5" body lift is cheap... well sorta. Body lift=lots of changes.
If I do it, it'll have to be done right. So bumpers moved up, exhaust moved up, new hitch, and something done about the fan.
My front bumper is ugly, and who doesn't want a winch bumper!? So I'll probably buy a RLC bumper, and make my own rear bumper with a receiver. But there's nothing wrong with the stock rear bumper. If I can move it up cheaply, and mount a flush hitch, that'd be better. Moving the exhaust up shouldn't be a problem, it's only 1.5" right? Swapping to an e-fan is probably the best idea. But I like the simplicity/reliability of a mechanical fan. Ideas? Opinions?

How much have y'all spent doing the body lift? Since the Explorer is my "expedition" vehicle, gas mileage is important. How bad would my gas mileage drop with these mods? I'm getting 20 right now.

And has anyone done rock sliders and left the running boards? I like the running boards, but rock sliders would be real nice. Got a flattened fender last month :(
How would that look with rock sliders poking out a little past the running boards?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump da la bump bump

I'm interested in your slider idea. I was just thinking about that the other day. I was going to get rid of my boards but I have kids and they use them to get in so I guess they have to stay. Was thinking of fabbing some that butt up against the bottom of them. Sort of like using the boards as a cosmetic cover if you will. Planning on going up another 3" so the kids will definitely need the boards.

About the 1.5" BL, seems like a lot of work for such a little reward. Not sure if that would get you what you need to clear a 32" tire. Any suspension work? I have a dual electric fan system that consists of 2 Taurus A/C fans and a custom fan shroud. They barely fit across the radiator. Shroud would be a problem but I'm lucky and work in a metal fab shop and have access to all I needed to make my own. Just an idea. That would probably work with the body lift. Maybe relocate the factory shroud and keep the mechanical fan? That wouldn't cover the entire area of the radiator though.

Only thing that should affect mileage would be the larger tires.

The larger tires with high (numerically low) gears will not make you happy with the mileage. I can't remember if you have 3.73s or something higher. If you can swing it I'd say go with a 3.73 or 4.10 ratio. You'd be surprised how it helps out your mileage since it eases the strain on the entire driveline. For example I now have 4.88s with my SAS which is 8-9" higher than it was when you saw it in VA but I still get 14.5-15 hwy and no lie 16ish city. The hwy is the same as before with the 4.10s but so much better with city driving.

For the BL I'd say do it. It will give you more clearance for the taller tires. I don't know if you remember wills X but he really liked the difference the 1.5" BL made as far as clearances. Plus it has no affect on your suspension like a TT/AAL or shackle setup would have.

Body lifts are cheap. It's the extra stuff you do with them (like the other things you are asking about) that add up.

As for mileage, anytime you lift the vehicle you raise your drag coefficient/wind resistance. Adding rocksliders and heavier aftermarket bumpers raise the weight you'll be hauling, and going to bigger tires with more rolling resistance and corresponding change in gear ratio costs more fuel too... your mileage is going to go down; it's part of the package. You can fashion rocksliders that become part of your running boards if you take the trouble to do it. It's what I did on Herc and was pleased with the result.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53018

Glad you posted that link GJarrett. Those sliders are awesome!

Back