Please Help, 2002 standard 4x4 explorer wont go into gear when started | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please Help, 2002 standard 4x4 explorer wont go into gear when started

Spockster

Reaction score
City, State
abq nm
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer 4x4
Hello,

Everything was running fine then all of the sudden coming back from the store it would not go into any gear while started, will start in neutral and will go into gear with key turned on, but not while engine running..Thanks for the help..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds to me like the switch on your brake pedal went bad. The switch is supposed to ensure that you are holding the brake pedal when you shift from park to one of the gears.

Edit: Upon thinking on it further, I'm not sure that's it after all, because if that were the case, I don't think it would let you shift when the engine wasn't running either. Regardless, it is an easy place to start checking.

Good luck!
Jake

Sounds to me like the switch on your brake pedal went bad. The switch is supposed to ensure that you are holding the brake pedal when you shift from park to one of the gears.

Edit: Upon thinking on it further, I'm not sure that's it after all, because if that were the case, I don't think it would let you shift when the engine wasn't running either. Regardless, it is an easy place to start checking.

Good luck!
Jake
Thank you sir!

I believe there are generally two switches, one for brake lights and one for transmission, but I can't say for certain that is the case here.

Good luck!
Jake
There must be two switches. I did this repair a few months ago. Specifically because I could not shift the transmission after depressing the brake pedal. It’s some kind of safety mechanism to prevent shifting without your foot on the brake. It’s an easy repair. I pulled the old switch apart afterwards and the contacts didn’t look too bad.

There must be two switches. I did this repair a few months ago. Specifically because I could not shift the transmission after depressing the brake pedal. It’s some kind of safety mechanism to prevent shifting without your foot on the brake. It’s an easy repair. I pulled the old switch apart afterwards and the contacts didn’t look too bad.
Sweet thanks!

Unless I'm mistaken, the neutral safety switch should prevent the vehicle from being started when the transmission wasn't in Neutral or Park, but I don't think it should stop you from shifting.

Yes, neutral safety will only prevent you from starting when in gear, will not prevent you from shifting.

Back