Please help a dummy (me) with wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please help a dummy (me) with wheels

BigGreenV10

Reaction score
City, State
Newark, Oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer ST
I have tried to read the wheel posts and it seams to only confuse me more I am wanting to run these tires. Which equal to 32.05 x 11.18 as I am only wanting to do a TT right now. I hate the car like ride as I am a truck guy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NEW-Nitto...5|Rim+Diameter:22&hash=item564da9994b&vxp=mtr

and can't for the life of me understand the back spacing/ off set crap. What wheel would you recomend for this that looks similar to these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HELO-HE834-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2b1ba4e1&vxp=mtr

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same confusion when I started bud, let me give you the tips I learned.
The offest and backspace are strictly wheel related. You don't want to go much over 4.25" backspace. Offset is directly proportional to the backspace so 4" BS is about -12 Offset. That's what I have. There is a chart on here somewhere but good luck finding it. Just remember negative offset pushes the tire out and positive offset brings it in toward the wheel well. That's where you get in trouble. The wheel you linked has a +42 offset and that will bring it too far in. Sometimes you can add a spacer, but that's a whole other conversation and pros and cons to them as well. No matter what wheel diameter you go with, you don't really need more than 8 inches in width. That will hold up to a 12.5" wide tire. You also have to be careful going down to 15" wheels as some of them can get into your calipers. There are plenty that will work, searching can be a little frustrating though. My advice is to look through people's pics and see if you find any you like. Usually they will list the specs in their signature and then you'll know for sure it works. If you find something you like though post it and usually someone can tell you if they think it'll work. Happy hunting!

When I get to a real computer I'll post up the link to the wheel calculator for you. By the way mine are 17x8.5 with 3.75 BS. I think 19 offset. It'll make sense with the calculator.

Dang ya beat me to it :D

I put o many different combos into that thing I'm also surprised it hasn't blown up haha

Ok I must be real dumb as that didn't help me much as I have looked for the factory stuff to compare it too and had no luck. What offset should I look for if the wheel is 8.5 wide?

Ok I must be real dumb as that didn't help me much as I have looked for the factory stuff to compare it too and had no luck. What offset should I look for if the wheel is 8.5 wide?

Here is a clip of the screen from one my more recent tests.

tiresize3.jpg

What your looking at here is the stock wheel/tire combo for an 03 XLT on the left.

On the right is the optional size I was trying at the time.

This is the further breakdown listed below.

tiresize2.jpg

I punched in the combo you're looking at. Here it is

tires4.jpg

tires5.jpg

The first thing that sticks out is, you're going to be 40mm or 1.6" farther to the inside (closer to control arm).

Offset is more of a personal preference thing. Do you want the face of your rim close to the outer edge or do you want more of a deep dish look where it's sunken into the wheel a little? At least that's what I gathered when I was looking for new wheels.

I don't know about what I like want it not to stick out too much only as much as neccessary.I just want the best offset for no rubbing with a 12.5 wide tire. Most wheels list offset not back spacing. This is a street driver not a off road vehicle. I have other stuff for tearing up.

My wheels were listed like that as well but I actually know what the BS is and that's what really makes the wheel stick out or sink in from the sides of the truck. I just ended up calling discount tire direct and they gave me all the info I needed to know. I'd say just call the seller to be on the safe side and know the backspace.

The backspacing is set no matter what wheel you're talking about and is independent of offset.

Backspacing is just the number of inches the mounting surface is from the inside lip of the wheel. Doesn't matter what width the wheel is. 4" backspacing is just as far from the inner lip on a 7" wide wheel as 4" backspacing on a 10" wide wheel. Equal backspacing among different width wheels just means that the wider the wheel, the more the wheel (and tire) mass will be to the outside, or pushed further out.

Offset is based on the width of the wheel and how far off center the mounting surface is, measured in mm. 4" backspacing on an 8" wide wheel is 0 offset because it's centered at 4", or 0mm away from center. 3.75" backspacing on that same 8" wide wheel would have a negative offset (not doing the math, sorry) whereas 4.5" backspacing would have positive offset.

I say backspacing is independent of the width of the wheel because 4" backspacing on a 10" wheel will fit just as well as the 4" backspacing on an 8" wheel. The same cannot be said for offset. A positive offset 8" wide wheel would be less likely to fit than a negative offset 10" wheel (as long as the offset is at least -1" or more). It's harder to compare apples to apples when talking about wheels if you're considering different width wheels and trying to compare them using offset measurements.

For a Sport Trac, it seems that a 12.5" wide wheel will fit on a wheel with 3.5" to 4.25" backspacing. More narrow tires and anywhere in those backspacing ranges should provide you with a wheel that fits easily.

Hope any of that makes sense and helps.

quick edit: 12.5" wide TIRE not wheel. Just to clarify. Everything was crystal clear

Thanks the more I read the dummer I feel. I will just hope the place I buy tires and wheels from understand. I was going to try and buy off line to save a few bucks but since I don't understand the concept good enough to make a decision I am going to let them figure it out thanks for trying though.

It says -47mm in the description, is that the right dimensions?
The DC-2s are reeeaaally common by the way. Tons of Jeeps and trucks have them so if you're looking for uniqueness, those aren't the wheels for you. They do look good IMO though.

Don't really care about common as I like the look of em. I have a black truck and don't want all black wheel or all chrome either. Yeah I don't know where I was looking to get the offest I asked about. Would a 8" wide wheel work on a 12.5 tire?

I like the look a lot too. I looked at them for a little but I wanted to go all black.

A 12.50 will work on an 8" wheel. It'll be a little fatter than taller than if were on an 8.5 or 9" wheel if that makes sense.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually I got that backwards. It'll be taller on the 8" wide wheel than a wider one

Back