• Register Today It's free!

Please Help!! Before I go crazy

Big6ft6

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 AWD
I bought this 01 limited a couple weeks ago with a undulating noise coming from the drivers side front wheel. Since my mechanic did a pre-purchase inspection and said it needed a new wheel bearing, I assumed that was the cause of this noise, sounded just like a bad bearing or bad/uneven tire tread.

To shorten a long story, I've done a bunch of rebairs: new hub, sway bar link was broken on passenger side, and driver side upper conrol arm rear bushing was shot (very shot, bolt was dented), newer tires but rotated them anyway to see if it would change anything and I still have the original noise.

The noise is very annoying it is strongest at about 36mph and gets louder if I take my foot off the gas as the truck coasts down through 30 mph. The noise is a very low noise like a subwoofer and cycles every revolution of the tire. It is quiet enough that passengers don't notice over conversation, but when I'm driving alone it is all I hear!! It is so low it is almost like a pressure wave and I can feel it slightly through feet and hands. I would make perfect sense if I had some sort of tire tread imperfection, that is exactly what it sonds/feels like. But I've flipped front to back tires and the noise is still there. Interestingly it seems worse with one tire than the other??? There are no noises from any of the other three wheel spots of the truck.

Please help me with ideas for the cause of this noise? I'm going insane:eek: Would the parts I had to replace suggest the previous owner slammed into a curb with driver-side front wheel?? If so what might this have dammaged that would give me this noise?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check your cv joints on the front

there is awalys the change you got a bad hub. Been there done that.

check your cv joints on the front

I was wondering about the CV joints; my noise happen when I'm going straight...don't CV noises only ocurr when turning or something?

Is the install easy/cheap enough for me to just try it to see what happens? I'm so frustrated I'd be willing to try anything..

there is awalys the change you got a bad hub. Been there done that.

I've thought of that, it just seems unlikely that the new hub would be bad in such a way to cause the EXACT EXACT same noises at same speeds etc the minute I drove out of my mechanics lot...like nothing changed...also my mechanic said he didn't replace the hub becuase of the noise, but becuase he could feel "looseness" (which ended up being control arm bushing...thats another story and why I'm doing my own work from now on).

Thanks for the idea though..just knowing someone else is out hear with me help a little.. :)

How do you determine noises from front differential/bearings etc? I'd like to hear more about CV joints too.

What else is there that turns at same rotational speed as the tire? Brake rotor, hub, axle/CVjoint, and differential bearings/ and ring gear right? After that stuff is turning at transfer case output speed?

This noise is definitly final drive speed related.

Wouldn't the front driveshaft be turning faster than my wheel speed? (due to ring gear in the differential? 3:73 times faster to be exact? )

I have a v8 AWD limited 2001

Please help with ideas!!! I'm going to go at it tomorrow some more in the daylight, but it is cold up here in Wisconsin!

Well, I ask about your ds because they can get worn out and make noise at the CV where it bolts to the transfer case. You can try removing your ds and see if the noise goes away. Your perception of the noise being consistent with wheel speed is somewhat subjective.

I had a similar issue after I did my suspension lift, my driveshaft was at too great of an angle- created odd noises that couldn't be explained by logic.

The only other thing I can think of is are your tires feathered on the inside tread? I know you rotated the tires, but if they are all worn funny they will all make noise.

The only other thing I can think of is are your tires feathered on the inside tread? I know you rotated the tires, but if they are all worn funny they will all make noise.

You're right about this defying logic, so I'm open to anything. Could I tell just by grabbing the front ds and trying to wiggle it to see if there is play?

What about bad CV joints? Can I wiggle them if they are bad?

My tires are basically new, there is absolutely no wear in the tread anywhere..any tire I put on the front driver-side hub will make this noise. So I don't think it is the tire, unless I'm missing something that would isolate tire noise from the front left side??

You're right about this defying logic, so I'm open to anything. Could I tell just by grabbing the front ds and trying to wiggle it to see if there is play?

What about bad CV joints? Can I wiggle them if they are bad?

My tires are basically new, there is absolutely no wear in the tread anywhere..any tire I put on the front driver-side hub will make this noise. So I don't think it is the tire, unless I'm missing something that would isolate tire noise from the front left side??

How many miles are on your truck? And what is its general condition(barring the noise it makes, ie seats, carpet, etc)?

I don't have much expreince with the cv's on these, I have been fortunate enough to not have any problems. I have heard you can wiggle them around if they are bad. You should hear the noise worse when turning one direction or the the other. Try finding an empty parking lot and try turning big turns at decent speed and see if the noise increases.

As for the front ds, it may have slack in it, but it may not. It uses a odd CV style joint at the front that has given people fits. I would remove it and see if it gets rid of the noise. That way if you still have it, you have the ds eliminated from the equation. Its easy to remove, can be done with just a few tools in less than 30 minutes in your driveway. You need a torx bit for a 1/4" drive ratchet and a 8mm hand wrench.

How many miles are on your truck? And what is its general condition(barring the noise it makes, ie seats, carpet, etc)?
............. Its easy to remove, can be done with just a few tools in less than 30 minutes in your driveway. You need a torx bit for a 1/4" drive ratchet and a 8mm hand wrench.

Thanks Mountaineer Green, this is what I need an attack plan. I will remove the front drive shaft tomorrow. Fluid doesn't come pouring out of the transfer case when you remove the shaft input does it?

My truck has 120k mi, excellent shape otherwise, feels like driving a new truck. Previous/original owners were older couple who drove up north to their cabin every weekend. I bought it from her nephew who'd had it for a couple years, his wife had been driving it to work and back.

I've notice absolutely no noise turning even tight turns slow in parking lot or at speed. This noise isn't something that comes and goes, this is all the time, most noticeable on a nice smooth piece of highway (so other road noise is elminated) around 36mph, then let of the gas and it is more prominant, same volume as tire noise wold be if I had big mudders on.

What is wierd is that is seems slightly worse with one tire versus the other, but neither tire makes a noise when on the back axle???? If I didn't know better I wold think it was tire noise, except it isn't a steady noise it "undulates" up and down, very low bass sound. Unles it was an imperfection in the tire tread?

Also, how about my torsion bar settings? What if one was off some how? Would it change the angle that the tire tread meets the road?

I've notice absolutely no noise turning even tight turns slow in parking lot or at speed. This noise isn't something that comes and goes, this is all the time, most noticeable on a nice smooth piece of highway (so other road noise is elminated) around 36mph, then let of the gas and it is more prominant, same volume as tire noise wold be if I had big mudders on.

What is wierd is that is seems slightly worse with one tire versus the other, but neither tire makes a noise when on the back axle???? If I didn't know better I wold think it was tire noise, except it isn't a steady noise it "undulates" up and down, very low bass sound. Unles it was an imperfection in the tire tread?

Also, how about my torsion bar settings? What if one was off some how? Would it change the angle that the tire tread meets the road?

If the noise doesn't change in turns, then that just about rules out anything on the hub or CV's. Not definitely, but almost.

Before you pull the ds, run your hand along the inside of the tire. Since it seems to vary according to which tire is on the front, it may could be tires. If the tire is cupped or feathered on the edge, even if the rest of the tread is fine, it can make noise.

Torsion bars can affect how a tire contacts the road, but they serve as the spring, so if one was different than the other, one side of the truck would be higher than the other. I don't think the bars are your issue.

Given what you have told me, I really suspect the front driveshaft. No fluid will be lost and you can drive your truck without it for a short time with no ill effects. People have debated it, but I don't recommend driving without it for a long time. Its just not worth the risk.

Given what you have told me, I really suspect the front driveshaft. No fluid will be lost and you can drive your truck without it for a short time with no ill effects. People have debated it, but I don't recommend driving without it for a long time. Its just not worth the risk.

I had the wheels off today and saw nothing on the tire that looked odd, I carefully looked for bubbles or other imperfections as well.

Would the front driveshaft noise seem to come from the front driver-side wheel? I suppose the front differential is slightly towards the driver side correct?

I keep thinking about the fact that the noise gets a little more prominant. When I take my foot off the gas and the car coasts down. So it changes from when the motor is driving the wheels (gas on) to when the wheels are driving back into the transfer case (coasting) it does sound like a potential driveshaft symptom...well I'll check tomorrow.

Thanks for the help MG, you give me hope!:D

I had a similar issue when I first bought my truck but not bad as you described yours and it bugged me also. The tires looked new but the DOT code indicated they all were over 7 years old!!! Not being comfortable with riding around on "brand new looking" 7 year old tires, I immediately bought 4 new tires and the noise was gone.
If it's not your tires, maybe you have a slightly bent wheel.:dunno:

I had a similar issue when I first bought my truck but not bad as you described yours and it bugged me also. The tires looked new but the DOT code indicated they all were over 7 years old!!! Not being comfortable with riding around on "brand new looking" 7 year old tires, I immediately bought 4 new tires and the noise was gone.
If it's not your tires, maybe you have a slightly bent wheel.:dunno:

thanks pumpkin, Im probably exagerating the severity of this noise just becuase I'm a perfectionist and a gear head, so I know when a noise isn't a good noise even if it is quiet. There is still a chance that my noise is from the tires, it would make the most sense because that is what it sounds most like. But two things keep me worried that it isn't the tires.

1) The noise only comes from my front left wheel/wheel area

2) When I switched "rotated" front and rear wheel on the drivers side, it didn't get rid of the sound, it seems to be a little louder with one of the wheels, but it is still there.

I could be that the my front left wheel is out of alignment, but I'm assuming that when I had the upper control arm replaced they re-aligned my car?? Maybe they just replaced shims in same locations??

After reading, I'll vote for the CV joint. How many miles? I'll bet the previous owner changed the passenger side as they usually go first, and now it's just time for this side. Buy a Haynes manual for $15 and the change is explained fairly well. Usually the boots blow before the joints go, but not always.

Bill

Thanks Bill

I would be very happy if it ended up being my CV joints. However they look very clean (no boot tears can still see a blue sticker on the shaft) and the noise is not related to turning in any way, it is a straightline noise.

do you think it could still be CV joints?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles on the vehicle, I have a 2000 Explorer with 125,000, it still looks new underneath, but I still have to replace stuff. It is hard somtimes to determine what kind of treatment the vehicle got in it's other life..........

Back