please help both cars stuck

dannyces

Reaction score
City, State
syracuse, new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
hi all,
so first my 95 4wd explorer might need new cv.. im gettin a bad shake at 30mph that goes away when i speed up and a clickin noise when i turn cv right???? how do i check to see exactlt what needs to be replaced??? is it the axle??
second sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but my wifes pt is stuck i mean its actually stuck.. i thought the wheel bearing was shot cuase of the hummin noise its was makin but there is no play at 6 and 12 i the wheel and the brake rotor was red hot after a very short drive.... so i figured my the caliper is stickin so not havin the time to mess with it i parked it and now 2 days later it wont move feels like the brakes are on.. so my question is can a wheel bearin lock up or is it most likely the caliper???
any help would be great i really need to fix asap
thanks
Danny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

problem #1:
clicking while turning sounds like the cv axle. a reman axle runs around $60-$70 + the core charge. a brand new one is a bit more, but not much more.

problem #2:
sounds more like a frozen/stuck caliper than a wheel bearing. a bad bearing wouldn't typically get the rotor super hot.

cool thx for the reply
ok so problem no.1..... is there anyway to check exactly what is bad?? i mean which side, axle, bearing etc. ????
problem no. 2...... yep looks like it was the caliper i cleaned it up and when i moved the car there was alittle resistance but it "broke free" took it for a test drive and it seems fine... should i replace the caliper???
thx again
Danny

Crack the bleeder open see if it lets caliper loose, it may be the the soft line is collapsing.

cool thx for the reply
ok so problem no.1..... is there anyway to check exactly what is bad?? i mean which side, axle, bearing etc. ????
problem no. 2...... yep looks like it was the caliper i cleaned it up and when i moved the car there was alittle resistance but it "broke free" took it for a test drive and it seems fine... should i replace the caliper???
thx again
Danny

prob #1: drive in a circle and have someone try to listen to try to figure out which cv axle/joint is bad, but if one's bad the other's probably not far behind.

prob #2: it could be a deteriorated brake flex-line, but probably the caliper is sticking. the problem will most assuredly return. as with the cv axle, if one caliper is bad, the others are probably not far behind. especially if you don't flush your brake system every 2 years (which must people don't do).

Back