Please Help: Broken Spark Plugs & Lisle Tool | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please Help: Broken Spark Plugs & Lisle Tool

BootyDo

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited V8
Hi All,
I was changing my spark plugs on my '06 V8 and two of the 8 broke. I did TONS of research before jumping into this project and followed the Ford TSB and had the Lisle extractor tool on hand. But I can't remove the two broken plugs!

I can try to upload photos, but they broke in two different ways:
6th cylinder: Base and nut came out along with electrode. But broke at the porcelain. It's not a "clean" break, (some of the porcelain is in the ring so the Lisle tool isn't catching.

2nd Cylinder: Porcelain snapped right below the ring. Not entirely clean either. But in this case, the electrode is still stuck in the car. If I use the Lisle tool, wouldn't this just risk pushing the electrode all the way into the hole?

Sorry to be so desperate. Just really, really upset. I took all the precautions and now look to be stuck with a car that ain't going anywhere and might cost a fortune to fix :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out denlorstools website. They have a video on
using the Lisle tool as well as many reviews, questions
and replies.
I think you need to pull the electode out with maybe
long handle needle nose on #2. And the other one,
maybe turn the motor over with all the other plugs
out, to eject any loose porcelean. Do this at your own
risk and be carefull of flying particles.

Check out denlorstools website. They have a video on
using the Lisle tool as well as many reviews, questions
and replies.
I think you need to pull the electode out with maybe
long handle needle nose on #2. And the other one,
maybe turn the motor over with all the other plugs
out, to eject any loose porcelean. Do this at your own
risk and be carefull of flying particles.

Thank you for the input! I've been up all night just searching and searching for ideas and I noticed a few people mentioned turning the motor over. I know this is a stupid question, but how to i set that up? reconnect the coils and keep the new (6 in total) plugs in there or literally remove everything from the plug holes - spark plugs and coils disconnected - and then start the car?

try a vaccumn first

Thank you for the input! I've been up all night just searching and searching for ideas and I noticed a few people mentioned turning the motor over. I know this is a stupid question, but how to i set that up? reconnect the coils and keep the new (6 in total) plugs in there or literally remove everything from the plug holes - spark plugs and coils disconnected - and then start the car?

Since you have 6 new plugs in, maybe just disconnet all coil amd injector wires.This will prevent anything for falling into these cylinders.
(Reconsidered my reply.)

Back