Please help! Explorer wont start suddenly... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please help! Explorer wont start suddenly...

Dash Riprock

Reaction score
City, State
LA, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT
I am at a loss, I hope someone here has some ideas. 1995 4.0 V6 OHV

Last night I come home and proceed to do two things, change rear brake pads, and plug in a new DPFE. I had disconnedcted the battery to clear recent codes concerning the EGR system (code 337 for those interested), and after that the truck would not start. Here is some background onthe EGR fault:http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183602

So, I reconnected the old DPFE but no go. The engine turns over just fine, sounds like a strong battery, but the engine doesnt even come close to starting, not even a partial start. I had been driving in stop-and-go city traffic with AC on prior to parking in driveway.

Here are things I have checked:

Quadruple checked the DPFE hookup.
Tried starting with EGR vacuum line disconnected (thinking maybe the EGR valve is stuck open)
Actually went out and got 5 gallons of gas to put in. Durign this entire time, at no point did I smell gas.
Checked the Fuel Cutoff Switch under the passenger dash
Checked all fuses - good.
Smelled the tailpipe after start attempt to check for gas smell - none.

Because this seems like the truck is out of gas, I checked for gas at the fuel rail on the passenger side of the intake plenum. There is a schraeder valve there. The first time I opened it nothing came out, but this was a while after a start attempt. I tried opening it immediatley following a start attempt, and some gas did come out.

I ran out of ideas, and went to bed. Tried again this morning, no joy.

By the way, I also pulled codes again, KOEO only obviously, got a 327 (EGR feedback low) in KOEO only, CM was 111 (No codes)

Anyone have an idea what I should check next? Does this sound like a completly stuck EGR valve?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really don't think the egr valve has a thing to do with it-it should still at least try to start-
You said you had fuel, but was it at the correct pressure?
Do you hear the fuel pump running, when you first switch on the key?

I really don't think the egr valve has a thing to do with it-it should still at least try to start-
You said you had fuel, but was it at the correct pressure?
Do you hear the fuel pump running, when you first switch on the key?

Honestly, JT, I dont think I would know which sound was the fuel pump. I dont recall there being any change in the prestart "noises".

Unfortunately, I dont have a gage to check fuel pressure. What I may do though is run a line from the schrader valve on the fuel rail into a container just to see if I have any real flow at all. If the pressure is supposed to be ~ 50 psi, I should be able to notice a severely degraded pressure.

At 50 psi--it should spray all over the place--

Listen real closely toward the fuel fill area, when you first switch on the key-(just to on, not start)-for a small electric motor. You might have to stick your head out the door while you turn the key--
the pump should run for a second or 2, then stop--

At 50 psi--it should spray all over the place--

Listen real closely toward the fuel fill area, when you first switch on the key-(just to on, not start)-for a small electric motor. You might have to stick your head out the door while you turn the key--
the pump should run for a second or 2, then stop--

Ill do that as soon as I get a chance.

Do you have spark?

At this point I am assuming so. I was dealing with this late last night after cleaning up after the brake pad change. I ran out of time to pull a spark plug to test spark and check tip condition. that is next.

The fact that i get no gas smell is what bothers me.

Back