Please help! I have no clue what to fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please help! I have no clue what to fix

jmadams007

Reaction score
City, State
New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 FORD EXPLORER V6
Ok, so i have a 2002 Ford Explorer 4wd.

I have a situation where when driving uphill or just accelerating something starts to grind. It has a brand new transmission in it so we know it isnt that as we had it inspected as that was my first throught.

Interesting thing is that If i put the car into 4x4 high it will not make the grinding noise. then if it take it back off it will grind again. It only seems to happen if I am putting a decent amount of torque on the system.

all of the bearings are new. brakes, rotors are all new. new transmission.

I changed the rear diff fluid but no help. I brought the car to the ford mechanic but somehow when he took it for a test drive he couldnt get it to grind (fml). He checked the u joints for me and they are all fine.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I dont know if it could be the rear diff pinion and spring? transfer case? i really dont know. Besides that the car runs perfect. let me know if you have any ideas. thanks!

Transfer case wear. Shift fork rod wears case and range hub will slip. Rebuild or replace TC.

sounds good to me. I dont mind fixing it if i know what the issue is haha. Is it worth it to have it rebuilt or is it better to just grab a new one?

That's a call you have to make. The rebuild can get pretty pricey with a rebuilt case half and other parts. Might price out a reman TC. Used is always an option but you my be getting one as bad or worse than what you have. Good luck. Keep us posted on progress.

Back