Please someone help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please someone help!

dawnsandstaylor

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
How the story began……….Went to 2004 Ford Explorer, tried turning the ignition; nothing happen. No lights, no sounds from doors, nothing! So we popped the hood and put in another battery. The battery is smaller than the one that was in it. Once the battery was in, noise came on, radio, lights on dash, power locks working, wipers, etc.:

Trying to start vehicle:
Once we put the battery in we attempted to start the vehicle and nothing happens. No “cranking”/starting.. It just sitting there does nothing.

Key stuck
When we tried to take the key out, the key won’t come out unless with take the negative cable off battery. We then discovered that you had to play with the shift in order for it to go directly in park. So that problem was solved.

Second Attempt:
This didn’t help, vehicle still wouldn’t start. We tried disconnecting battery and leaving key in; still no turning over, cranking, however you wish to call it.

Things we noticed:
1. When the key is to on Position, the theft light flashes rapidly. After five minutes with key in the on position light goes off. After we try to start vehicle again, lights comes back on.

2. When the vehicle is in on position when we turn the a/c on, the vehicle power shuts off. This means the dash board completely. Once the a/c goes off the dash board lights back up and gauges return to normal.

3. The a/c is on but no air is coming out.

4. Fuel pump is not running; no power

5. When we mess around with the window (going up and down) Radio blinks in and out.

Things to consider.
1. The vehicle hasn’t been started in over four months before battery replaced.
2. The copied no chip key was put in, trying to start it.
3. There is a click sound from hood
4. There is a click sound from under the driver’s wheel…..
5. We tried jump starting from starter; just keeps rolling over.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it sat for 4 months, then naturally the battery would be dead. But I don't know of anything else that would go bad just sitting there. Except, maybe you got some rodents into it and they ate your wiring. That's pretty common.

You need the factory chipped key and a GOOD strong battery like the size of your previous one. Cold starts suck and take alot of power.

so do you think it can be the theft system as the light is blinking rapidly when trying to start!

I think I've heard it's possible for the security data to get wiped out if you have a dead battery. Probably you need to get a proper battery and then call a locksmith. I would still look under the dash and engine bay to make sure nothing got chewed up. Should be obvious because they make quite a mess.

As others have already suggested, you might try installing a brand new battery. If you pull one out of some other vehicle or something that's been sitting in around for awhile, you're not certain the car is getting the full voltage it needs to run. So the first thing I'd do is get a new battery, one that's matched to that vehicle. A weak or wrong battery will cause a bunch of the problems you're listing. Put in a new battery and at least you can eliminate that from the equation. Then check all the cables from the battery to the starter. Sometimes they'll corrode inside the red vinyl cover and you won't be able to see it.

Don't need to mess with the A/C yet. First focus on getting the fuel pump running and the engine. And you MUST have a chipped key to make the truck start. Won't start without one.

Good luck and be sure to post back what you find.

That'd be my first guess!!! Start there, if it starts to kick and doesn't turn afte a few tries, try to jump the starter and if it kicks completely over get yourself the correct battery and there ya go!

Back