Please tell me if i am crazy for considering this...HELP :) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please tell me if i am crazy for considering this...HELP :)

So i love craigslist i found a nice pair of black 15x8 rims on there with a 3.75 back spacing. for $100 (hopefully get for 60 or 70) great right?? well they are 5 on 5.5. so i would need adapters.
ebay has some buy basically the lowest i could go would be about 1.25 inch spacing for the adapter.

how crazy would i be to run a week with adapters at 2.25 backspacing?

the reason i ask is i want to get a new set of 15x8 however and put a set of 33x12.5x15 on there. for me to get a new set online would be $60-$100 a pop. so $400+ shipping. i could get away with these wheels for say $70+ $120 for spacers. is it worth saving $150???

i understand back spacing and i have heard the stories that it will wear stuff out quickly but how quickly are we talking? is it like 40,000 miles quicker? or more like 10,000 miles quicker?

so yea please please please give input... if i dont get these i would just get some 15x8 with 3.00 BS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would put it this way...
Way back when i had my truck on 33's
i started with stock rims and 33x10.5x15 tires.. everything was awsome..
i wanted to go bigger for a more aggressive stance..
so i swapped out for some 15x10 steelies with 4.75" backspacing and some 33x12.5x15 tires....

After that change, I only took my truck offroading 3 times before doing the SAS swap.. every single time i went offroading with the offset tires, i destroyed the hubs and had to replace them... At $200 bucks a hub, 3 times was all i was willing to pay before the SAS...

It puts an enormous amount of stress on wheelbearings and hubs...

If you offroad, i wouldnt advise it at all, if its a street queen... i would say you'll wear out the front end about 3 times faster than stock...

After saying all that, i actually dont think i have any pics of then that the wheels are actually straight... because the hubs were always broke...
DSC03044.jpg

Yep!! their crooked!! and you can check out my awsomely horrible inner tire wear due to the hubs!

I would put it this way...
Way back when i had my truck on 33's
i started with stock rims and 33x10.5x15 tires.. everything was awsome..
i wanted to go bigger for a more aggressive stance..
so i swapped out for some 15x10 steelies with 4.75" backspacing and some 33x12.5x15 tires....

After that change, I only took my truck offroading 3 times before doing the SAS swap.. every single time i went offroading with the offset tires, i destroyed the hubs and had to replace them... At $200 bucks a hub, 3 times was all i was willing to pay before the SAS...

It puts an enormous amount of stress on wheelbearings and hubs...

If you offroad, i wouldnt advise it at all, if its a street queen... i would say you'll wear out the front end about 3 times faster than stock...

After saying all that, i actually dont think i have any pics of then that the wheels are actually straight... because the hubs were always broke...
DSC03044.jpg

Yep!! their crooked!! and you can check out my awsomely horrible inner tire wear due to the hubs!

Thanks yea i think i will just stay away from them then.... im just afraid stock rims 15x7 with the stock backspacing will rub real bad. but that where the body lift will come in.

i think i still might go with the 15x8 with 3.0 BS which isnt too agressive only .75 over more then stock so it should be good.

Dont do it, the less backspacing, the more you will need to trim. i have 3.75" and wish I had 4" as i had to take 2" off my fender but with 4" i would only have needed to trim half thay

Dont do it, the less backspacing, the more you will need to trim. i have 3.75" and wish I had 4" as i had to take 2" off my fender but with 4" i would only have needed to trim half thay

i thought less backspacing (pushing tires farther out) would make less trimming? i am looking at some 15x8 with 3.75 BS instead. and i will probs just do the 1.5" BL if they do rub. Thanks for the reply. i realized that would be pretty crazy of me.

Back