• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Please tell me this isn't a cracked head gasket

keithisg

Reaction score
City, State
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger reg cab 4.0
When I bought the explorer I noticed this clay colored spray all over the passenger side engine compartment. I shrugged it off and didn't think about it.

Well I cleaned it off and I open my hood today and its back and I notice one of what I think is a radiator hose is cracked and spraying stuff out. Then I check my rad fluid and its the same clay color almost like rust. Please tell me this just needs new radiator hoses, radiator flush, and new fluid.

I think this is the hose going into the heater core correct?
Red circle indicates where crack is:
IMG_20110127_135226.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
Thats the heater control bypass valve. Easy to change.

If possible, buy a ford/motorcraft one as most of the off brand ones don't last near as long.

~Mark

1AJeremyD

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT 4.0
You are probably right in thinking its rust. When you change the valve change out the fluid in the radiator and maybe grab a garden hose and flush some water through the heater core and everything else.

westfield

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
I've never seen a blown head gasket to that...The advice you got to flush out your cooling system needs to be done...Pronto !

huntman58

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Dodge Advenger
I've never seen a blown head gasket to that...The advice you got to flush out your cooling system needs to be done...Pronto !

X2 With great emphases placed on the flushing sooner then later as that is some very rusty water!

keithisg

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger reg cab 4.0
Yeah its running in the A/L in the NORMAL on the temp gauge.

Doing everything tomorrow with the ultimate radiator flush

Oh and I was reading in some thread that someone had strawberry milkshake colored fluid and said it was a blown head gasket or a cracked block maybe leaking oil into it.

Could someone tell me why I have a U Joint type thing in there for my hoses? Should I take them out and seperate them?

fullmetal6

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
A blown head gasket will be milky that is true, but not typically like the rust in your picture.

huntman58

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Dodge Advenger
That thing you’re talking about is a diverter valve. Its job is to keep hot water from reaching the heater core at times so the AC works better the 93 and older ones did not have it. I believe you could do away with it but not sure how you would have to rerun the vacuum line for it. I know on my 93 the vacuum line is in side pass side kick panel and it’s what changes the vent from inside air to fresh air. Not sure if the 94 is the same but easy to check out.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
If you use a/c, keep the heater control bypass valve. Adding that valve is a mod those of us with < 1994 do. As mentioned it keeps the hot water out of the heater box when your running a/c which makes the a/c cooler.

If you need to bypass it for now you can do that. Just plug the vacuum line so it doesn't become a vacuum leak.

btw.. When your flushing the system, make sure your flushing the heater core too.

~Mark

keithisg

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger reg cab 4.0
Thanks I got it done today, I went and bought a new valve for 20 bucks and put it in.

My truck runs wayyyy cooler now that I did the radiator flush like 8 times and flushed the heater core.

burning_soul07

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Other then rusty water was it chunky?

huntman58

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Dodge Advenger
I have to ask any one here if I added that valve to my 93 were should I tap the vacuum from? Should it come off the line in the pass kick panel for the fresh air by using a t fitting?

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4

huntman58

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Dodge Advenger
Thanks Mark for some reason I could not find it .