Plenty of OBD-II codes.

DBrooke

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
Hi Everyone,
I'm Dave. New here and looking to try to solve a problem. My daughter bought a 99 Explorer. Now its up to me to solve and fix the problems she bought with it. Although I'd rather have a case of hemroids, it doesn't take away from that daddy do thing and the please please please fix my car???? So here is my particular problem.
My OBDCOM came up with these codes when I first plugged it in.

******* 7/31/2010 1:47:33 PM *******
STORED CODES
P1409 16
P1409 EVR Control Circuit Malfunction (Ford)
P0300 16
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0171 16
P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)
P0174 16
P0174 System Too Lean (Bank 2)
PENDING CODES
P0136 16
P0136 O2 Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
P1131 16
P1131 Lack Of HO2S11 Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean (Ford)
P1151 16
P1151 Lack Of HO2S21 Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean (Ford)

After I cleared it and ran it for a bit. Stalling a few times in there, the new codes are:

******* 7/31/2010 2:04:10 PM *******
STORED CODES

P1409 16
P1409 EVR Control Circuit Malfunction (Ford)
PENDING CODES

P0300 16
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected.

The engine idles at 450 rpm very rough and there is a definate miss in there. When its cold there is a timing chain slap. I've read up on that here. I have changed the intake manifold gaskets already. That was one leak that I found easily enough. The throttle body was pretty groady so I cleaned that up and put new gaskets in there as well. I am suspecting the fuel pressure regulator. If I press on the gas pedal slightly, it races up to 2 G's and slowly comes back down to 450.
I really don't relish the thought of taking a day to pull an engine to change the timing chains but... I guess I should put in here that I am a heavy equipment mechanic. I just dislike working on cars. Anyway, all that said, I'd appreciate some input here as to what I need to do first here.

Thank you
Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Brooklin Bay
Thank you. I didn't think of doing that. What is the voltage supposed to be?
Thanks
Dave

I have a special tester from OTC with a digital display. It's an expensive tool, and not for the average DIY'er. The next choice is to use a cheap spark gap tool to measure how strong the spark is on each cylinder. It's not as accurate as an electronic digital tester, but it will give you a basic idea on which coils are firing with a strong spark. Use caution because we are dealing with over 15k volts per plug!

Hi Brooklin Bay,
Thank you. I guess I'll have to run down to the shop and look through the tool room. Generally the equipment I work on doesn't have spark plugs. But I'm sure they have some gas engine stuff down there. If not, I have several multimeters on my service truck. Maybe one of them will work.
Thanks
Dave

Back