• Register Today It's free!

Plug wire looms and such

blakshukvw

Reaction score
City, State
K.C. mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 5.0
Can I get some pics of your plug wire holders and looms you guys are using on your V8's with stock or even aftermarket wires. I am installing some Livewires and just want to see what products others have used and with what success. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Noone has any?? Something, anything, nothin??

what are you asking?

basically you run your wire, cover it in split loom, and tape the loom with electrical tape (the cheap stuff you get in 10 packs at home depot, save the good $3 rolls for connections)

*edit* OF COURSE! *smacks head* Plug Wires... I'm such an idiot

Those looms all work the same. I know, because I have a few brands under my hood. Ford Motorsport and Moroso pretty much work the same and are idiot proof. Easy on and off. I like my MSD looms. Sort of spendy for what they do, but they do their job and look kind of cool.

All these options are better than OEM to me because they go on and off easily. I find the OEM ones are a pain without a small screwdriver to open them up.

Sorry, no pics handy. Lots of stock photos on the web.
Posted via Mobile Device

Those looms all work the same. I know, because I have a few brands under my hood. Ford Motorsport and Moroso pretty much work the same and are idiot proof. Easy on and off. I like my MSD looms. Sort of spendy for what they do, but they do their job and look kind of cool.

All these options are better than OEM to me because they go on and off easily. I find the OEM ones are a pain without a small screwdriver to open them up.

Sorry, no pics handy. Lots of stock photos on the web.
Posted via Mobile Device

Do you have these? I really like these. They look like they would work okay.
121884142.jpg

Also considering these. Probably leaning more towards these and just routing the new wires in the factory locations.
895-42503.jpg

Or these,
http://www.jegs.com/i/Ford-Racing/397/M-12297-B14/10002/-1?parentProductId=758113
A friend of mine had the latter holders on his mustang and I remember they were always coming loose and turning and then the VC's would leak and the wires would fall out of the holders. They were garbage.

The problem with all of these type of items on the market is that none are really exactly what I'm lookin for. The wire seperators made by MSD are fine for just that, but I also need some sort of bracket to hold the wires up off of the VC's and away from the mani's. Like I said, I'm just not to confident in the one's that bolt through the VC into the cylinder head. I agree with you about the stockers. They suck to open and will not even work for my Livewires since they are 9mm and then have a grounding sheath over that. They're like 10-11mm.

Also considering these. Probably leaning more towards these and just routing the new wires in the factory locations.
895-42503.jpg

I tried some similar to those and HATED them. Having to fiddle with a screwdriver to set them up is a bit of a pain. Go tool-less:

8843.jpg

These are the ones I use mostly. They give you assorted sizes in the kit. Careful placement and you don't need to connect them to anything to keep your wires orderly. You just adjust the slack in the wires and they sit nicely. I have the odd small zip tie here and there to keep things snug in dicey areas. The top piece snaps down into the bottom piece and holds the wires very securely. Easy to snap off too. I think I went with two sets. Like I said, more spendy than some, but I think they're worth it.

Keep in mind I have Torquemonsters, so creative routing was a must to keep from trashing wires (I've done that once or twice). :mad:

I think I sw those. If I remember they are MSD Pro wire looms. I like that they resemble the stockers and work similarly but are easier to operate.

You say they send different sizes, as in the size of the wire they can hold or how many? What wires do you have? Like I said, the wires I have are about 10-11mm with the insulating shield. I need to be sure my wires will fit in them. Obviously, the stockers are only what, like 8mm at the most.

Back