• Register Today It's free!

PO401 Error Code

ymmot60

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
Hi everyone. New to the forum. Have a check engine light ans PO401 error code. Removed and tested the EGR valve (sucked on it to see if it would activate & say engaged). Pulled the throttle body, did not see any apparent blockage. There is a tube that leads from the EGR valve mount that turns 90 degrees. This tube is around 5/8" in diameter. I'm assuming there are some ports in the upper intake that may be clogged. Does anyone know of a video or a written explanation on performing this. This is a plastic housing. Things I've found on youtube all deal with cast aluminum housings with really small orifices. Nothing specific to my year and make.

Thanks in advance for any help. Trying to get rid of the CEL & error code to smog & register.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard. Are you referring to the EGR tube that runs underneath the EGR valve, with one end going towards the firewall / rear of vehicle? There are two smaller-diameter outlets on it with hoses that lead to the DPFE sensor. P0401 may indicate that one of those hoses is clogged; last summer I got that code to find those hoses and a good portion of the DPFE sensor itself melted.

Thank you for responding. No, the tube I am refering to is inside the upper plenum. When I took off the throttle body I noticed this tube which comes from the same position as the EGR valve. The tube turns 90 degrees towards the firewall.

In researching, I've learned that the EGR ports that could be blocked are down in the aluminum intake manifold I'm hoping to trouble shoot and find the (any) problem that would keep me from having to pull the top & bottom plenums. The car is running fine but I have the PO401 error code & check engine light. I pulled the vacuum line off the top of the EGR and placed another vacuum line on it. The engine should have stalled. Nothing changed. I took the EGR valve off and pulled suction (with my mouth). The piston lifted and stayed lifted until suction/ vacuum was released. Looking for advise on testing the balance of the components. I can have the system checked at a repair shop but I don't know if they can isolate each of the components to determine if they are the trouble or if it is clogged EGR ports in the manifold. any suggestions?

Is it the OHV? My egr valve in the upper intake bends away from the firewall. It faces the radiator. Check the 2 hoses running to the DPFE first. That's stupid easy.
Also pulling a vac line should've made it stumble?

Thanks, I will take a look at those hoses. I had read it you pull the vacuum line from the EGR vacuum solenoid and attach to the top of the EGR it will activated the EGR valve and cause the engine to stuble. I had no reaction when I did this. I'll check things out and send my findings.

Hi everyone,

I am rekindling an old post. Still getting a CEL on my son's Explorer Sport (PO401, 2000 V6). Read a lot of threads & getting a little dizzy. I've pulled the EGR and it seams to be working good. I've pulled the vacuum line from the solenoid and placed it on the valve but did not see any engine stall. Could be a faulty DPFE sensor, faulty solenoid or (hopefully not) blocked ports. Is there a way to isolate & test these components to rule them out as the source? Is there a video that would take me thru the process of locating and cleaning the ports that could be clogged?

Thanks,

ymmot60

On my 2001 sport (sohc), there was a rubber vacuum hose that was cracked (hard to tell though). It ran under the upper radiator hose and was about a 5/8 diameter elbow. It was throwing some kind of code. It's been a long time, sorry I can't be more specific.

Had to replace it twice, then finally, I zip-tied the radiator hose out of the way (it was crushing and heating the vacuum hose and causing it to deteriorate).

Back