• Register Today It's free!

PO453 Code

hotrod6

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT
I have a 98 sport 4.0 i bought awhile back and its been running rough.. When driving it seems to cut out.. I had it scanned and it has code PO453 which is pressure sensor.. I was told they replaced the fuel pump when i got it.. After driving and i get out i can smell gas on the drivers side.. I replaced the gas cap but no change.. I was just wondering if anyone has had this code and what i should start with first.. Thanks in advance!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the fuel lines as well...

how I fixed this nightmare of a problem cost me $1.49 at radio shack buy a 2 pack of silicone diodes 1n4001. find the ftp sensor on top of the tank unplug it jump the diode from the red and pink wire to the red and grey wire turn off cel light start car shut off then restart verify light is out I know the super tech people will say this is a bad idea but I wasn't about to spend $130.00 for a bad ftp sensor I had all ready checked the rest of the system hope some people find this helpful

how I fixed this nightmare of a problem cost me $1.49 at radio shack buy a 2 pack of silicone diodes 1n4001. find the ftp sensor on top of the tank unplug it jump the diode from the red and pink wire to the red and grey wire turn off cel light start car shut off then restart verify light is out I know the super tech people will say this is a bad idea but I wasn't about to spend $130.00 for a bad ftp sensor I had all ready checked the rest of the system hope some people find this helpful

Good fix! The problem with it, is it would upset the environmentalists since the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor is there to make certain no gasoline vapors are permitted to seep away into the atmosphere. (They haven't explained yet, how to avoid that scenario when the filler cap is removed to fill the gas tank!). imp

ya I went back and forth on posting this info I just found a lot of people dealing with this and a lot of repair bills (on more then just are forums) seems to be a common problem with ford mazda cars trucks I really hope people use this as a last resort and not a fix to bypass a bad system you should always check the whole system before this is done gas vapors can be a deadly thing to ignore!

hell all the old cars used to vent directly.

hell all the old cars used to vent directly.

Not only fuel vapors. By 1965, engines had Positive Crankcase Ventilation valves, to prevent oil vapor, which contained some fuel vapor in it, from leaving the engine. My '65 Mustang, ordered with the High Performance option, came with a "road draft" vent tube, NO PCV! imp

The engine in my first car had a 'road draft' tube too, and at 1.1L displacement it wasn't exactly high performance. I am also old enough to remember seeing the railroad ties go by when peering down the train toilet. Heck, I am told that in the good old days, when airplanes flew low and slow, even commercial aviation used a similar human waste elimination system. Nostalgic as I feel, not sure I would want to go back to those times...

Not only fuel vapors. By 1965, engines had Positive Crankcase Ventilation valves, to prevent oil vapor, which contained some fuel vapor in it, from leaving the engine. My '65 Mustang, ordered with the High Performance option, came with a "road draft" vent tube, NO PCV! imp

The engine in my first car had a 'road draft' tube too, and at 1.1L displacement it wasn't exactly high performance. I am also old enough to remember seeing the railroad ties go by when peering down the train toilet. Heck, I am told that in the good old days, when airplanes flew low and slow, even commercial aviation used a similar human waste elimination system. Nostalgic as I feel, not sure I would want to go back to those times...

If we were able to, do you agree we likely would not change anything? imp

Back