(Poll) Zexel Torsen Differential for '95+ Explorer/Ranger? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

(Poll) Zexel Torsen Differential for '95+ Explorer/Ranger?

Interested in a Zexel Torsen differential for IFS Explorer/Rangers?

• Yes I would purchase one if they were made available.

Votes: 50 75.8%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 16 24.2%

• Total voters
my thoughts..
i think folks have seen a few of these "interest in a front locker/LS/whatever" that have gone nowhere. maybe a lot of folks just aren't chiming in b/c they assume its useless and will never get done. i for one would love to have a product for the front of my vehicle, and would likely buy one in a year of two (i have to do the rear first). i will do this eventually somehow though. i didn't chime in until now because of the reason i mentioned above. i am now though. hope some folks will break their silence..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Johnstone
Ranger Rick,

I think there will be interest since people will see that people like me break CV joints from running a non-selectable locker like the Powertrax.
The Big Dawgs out at Truckhaven were witness to my outer CV joint on the passenger side breaking when I was going up the Waterfall hill.

Of course, I think your biggest market would be with the Ranger 4x4 owners. Cuz I would think more of the Ranger 4x4 owners take their trucks offroad than do owners of Explorer 4x4's.
Honestly, I was hoping for a greater response from Explorer owners because this axle was in production on that vehicle for a lot longer then in the Ranger - almost 2X as long. So the lion's share of vehicles built to date that could use this diff are Explorers.

Of the number of people running the Powertrax, how many are blowing CV's? I know that DesertSpive is, but his problems may or may not be attributed to other issues. I see your point about treading on the "crying wolf" ground here. That just emphasizes how tough of a market this is...

The only other thing I could think of is to have interested folks blanket FRPP or Reider Racing in letters and emails requesting this unit. Its much easier for me to meet a distributor's request then it is to convince the same distributor that a market exists. And in the end, they're the ones who have to sell them...

The only other thing I could think of is to have interested folks blanket FRPP or Reider Racing in letters and emails requesting this unit. Its much easier for me to meet a distributor's request then it is to convince the same distributor that a market exists. And in the end, they're the ones who have to sell them... [/B]

Where do we send the letters/emails?

Thanks.

Originally posted by jobunn
Where do we send the letters/emails?

Thanks.
That I do not know. I may be able to find out though. I'd suggest starting with the "contact us" info that's on their respective websites. Lemme see what I can dig up too...

i'M GOING TO GET THE DETROIT ELECTRAC

for the rear,it should be available in late spring according to the email that they sent me !.

up front,I'll just have to wait for the german made one
unless the torsen is made ?

I honestly don't think I would buy one of these only b/c I have to have my X get through another 2+ years of college before I can build it up. If I could afford to beat my vehicle up right now, I definitely would look into this. But I'm trying to keep it nice b/c I just bought it and beat my last X pretty good (although it never broke down!!!) But also a note, I did not get an email about this, I was just poking around the different main threads and found this by accident. So I don't know how your mass email list works, but apparently I was not on it. Maybe if you tried to resend the email, you could get more of a response... because like I said, the only reason I fell upon this post was because I was bored at work :)

I got a question I don't know if this was answered or not but how will the locker work with us guys that have the autotrac.

Are we going to have to convert it to run 2wd or can we leave it alone. I kinda like the idea of it being automatic and have found it usefull during inclamite weather. I am pondering the 2wd conversion for the summer time to increase my gas mileage during trips.

Just curious

Originally posted by Ace
I got a question I don't know if this was answered or not but how will the locker work with us guys that have the autotrac.

Are we going to have to convert it to run 2wd or can we leave it alone. I kinda like the idea of it being automatic and have found it usefull during inclamite weather. I am pondering the 2wd conversion for the summer time to increase my gas mileage during trips.

Just curious

I think it's somewhere in this thread but the front Torsen (actually a limited slip) would be great even with the autotrac, nearly seamless on the street but two wheel power off road.

(EDIT) - If you were talking about the German designed (Killeraxles) locker it will be selectable so it too will not interfere with the auto 4x4.

Definitly interested if I haven't said so already

What about the rear any options of getting one made for the rear also

Originally posted by Ace
What about the rear any options of getting one made for the rear also
The Ranger FX4's get one in the rear OEM. I don't know if you can buy it aftermarket though.

Originally posted by Johnstone
The Ranger FX4's get one in the rear OEM. I don't know if you can buy it aftermarket though.
You can't buy the FX4-specific diff aftermarket, but we do make a few other versions for the 8.8" axle. Actually, we have been for, oh, 6 or 7 years. We make a standard Type-2 and a high locking effect (bias) version called the T-2R, both in 28 and 31T. None of these have a spring preload like the FX4 diff does, but the truth of the matter is that the preload is low enough that it isn't a huge benefit anyway...

Regarding front operation with the automatic 4WD, well the diff is up there, live, all the time. When the truck's in 2WD, the front diff has no load on it and is transparent to the driver. When the t-case kicks so power to the front end, the Torsen will then make the best use of it. Just like in a 4WD Ranger with either push button 4WD or a manual t-case, except that the driver selects 4WD instead of a computer...

If it is made, I will buy it. Every 95+ explorer owner is getting screwed because no one produces a locker for their front. Imagine being able to lift a tire, which I do most of the time, and not care at all.:D

since it dosn't look like ARB is going to do anything for us IFS Explorer/Ranger guys, I'd take the Torsen in a heart beat..

I have one(torsen differential) OEM in the rearend of my S2000 and really like it..

Yes

Count me in as interested. I had not seen this before. I've been too busy with work to read my home e-mails or spend too much time on the site...

If I don't buy a used Locker from the site this week, I'm in. Of course if it takes too long to come about, I may not wait? I hopefully have a complete front diff coming shortly that will need gears and a locking device.

Rick

Color me interested. I now just found this thread. I have known about the Torsen diffs for quite some time, and have wanted to be able to get them for my rigs.

Originally posted by Telford
Color me interested. I now just found this thread. I have known about the Torsen diffs for quite some time, and have wanted to be able to get them for my rigs.

this thread is for 95+ X's with the IFS,wanting a front Torsen diff.

I'm only taking a guess that you wanted it for your '94 X ?

I would love to get one of these!! :cool: This is the first I have heard of it though. I use my truck ( ranger ) more for the snow than I do for off-road. I wouldn't get a locker or l/s unit due to the driveability - this would be a winner !! Sign me up. :D

ps - this needs to be a sticky everywhere to generate enough interest - RPS included - there are still some 4x4 people over there !!

I'm hoping everyone is voting ?

even the 94 - guy's !! ;)

as far as I know,nobody makes an L/S for the front either.

and what kills me is they actually have made this for the ifs,but it's only available for a race truck,and a few of the reps ?
:mad:

I WANT ONE, TOO, on my '97 awd :D

when is it likely to come out, Ranger Rick?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup!

Maybe it would help clarify if the poll asked for level of interest (high, so-so, none) rather than simply whether or not you'd buy one right now...just a thought.

I'll admit that I'm speaking up as someone who doesn't have an Ex yet (working on an '01 Sport, however), but when I do I'd want this available to me in the future. For mainly street with some inclimate weather and mild to moderate off-road use, I think the Torsen units fit the bill nicely...not as harsh as a locker, but certainly much better than say a stock TracLok. I would envision a front-end unit down the road, after replacing the stock rear TracLok with a Torsen unit after it wears out (certainly by 50 or 60K miles).

There's a lot to be said for front-end traction aids...particularly if you've had it in a previous truck then gone without it in a later one. My dad still bemoans the fact that he passed up the front TracLok in his '80 Bronco after having it in his '70...and now he can't get it in anything! It would be awesome if they'd add a front Torsen option to the FX4 package ('Level III'? :D)...and better still if they'd offer an FX4 Explorer Sport! :thumbsup:

Anyway...as long as it works as advertised and is somewhat affordable, I have no doubt you'd have your couple hundred units a year for several years...especially once word-of-mouth starts marketing it for you, i.e., on this site! I'd also suggest posting the contact info for your distributors, so the folks here and on the Ranger sites can start pummeling them with requests...hit 'em from both ends, I say.

Thanks for all the info, Rick!

Back