Popping, crack sound behind dash | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Popping, crack sound behind dash

I removed the panel and the poping cracking sound on "my vehicle" was coming from the front control module and only when the heat is on.

darn this wasn't the response i was looking for! the popping sound is still heard in my explorer as well. let me know what the dealer says or next steps are; im baffled.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2012 Ford Explorer base model as well and get this popping/cracking noise 3-4 times every time I drive it (for usually only 12 minutes). It doesn't really bug me, but it could be a problem. It's very loud and noticeable. I'm from Minneapolis and drive on all tar roads and it's usually under 30 degrees this time of the year.

It's probably something flexing due to the car heating up, but it does seem a little odd. I can record a video next time I go for a drive of the popping/cracking.

As time goes on more people that are on this forum are having this cracking/ poping sound around the radio, fan speed control area. The more people go to the dealer about it,the more it will get some attention.

Just think about how many complaints it took to get the A-Pillar a TSB.

My luck, the unit they replaced, had the same manufacturing date as the one I had on my car. I know they replaced my unit, as I made a mark to make sure it was replaced.

I have seen a few posts with people having clicking, cracking, poping sounds coming from the area around the fan speed control and radio.

To date I only see posts but I do not see other people report that they went to the dealer.

You must go to the dealer to report so that Ford can not say that they never heard of this concern.

Remember the noisy wheel gets the oil.

Lazy but ok

Hah well good thing my dealer doesn't take appointments, so every time I want to get service I am stuck waiting for a few hours before they can look at my issues.

Again - I have the Ford Explorer 2012 base in black and I have the cracking/popping sounds from the stereo/heater when the heat is on about every 15 minutes. It's loud and noticeable. I also noticed I can re-create the sound by pushing on the plastic around the heater controls and radio controls. I think it's just loose plastic / plastic expanding.

I'm a little nervous about having them mess with this in case it is made worse... but I'll mention it when I bring it in, which will be within the next month. I have this problem and I also have streaky windows.

Bruce - do you have the streaky windows as well?

It think it is a relay on the board. Not sure which one.

If that is so it will eventuality break.

The radio portion is only under waranty for 1 year 12 months.

This sound makes me jump in my seat every time, which can cause a accident.

Make sure you have your dealer document it.

cracking flapping noise

Hey Bruce mine just started doing this yesterday and only when I turn it to "heat". It does not matter how high I turn the fan or where it is supposed to blow but ONLY when i ask it to blow warm/hot air. If I have it on (All the way to the left) cold it is silent.

I was told it is the characterisitics of the vehicle.

What a shame right.

I get this noise as well. 12' base model. Its a VERY loud cracking sound

I get this noise as well. 12' base model. Its a VERY loud cracking sound

Hi toms2012,

Have you had a chance to bring your Explorer in to the dealership? A Ford certified tech will be your best bet for getting this diagnosed. I'm happy to get your regional customer service manager involved as well; just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name so I can get started.

Crystal

I just bought a 2013 XLT and I hear a loud pop/cracking noise almost every time I drive during random conditions. It usually only happens the first 10-15 minutes of driving and then stops. I am wondering, is something breaking behind the dash that could cause problems? It sounds just like a rock hitting the windshield. The first several times I heard it, I thought that's what it was. Has anyone found a solution?

I just bought a 2013 XLT and I hear a loud pop/cracking noise almost every time I drive during random conditions. It usually only happens the first 10-15 minutes of driving and then stops. I am wondering, is something breaking behind the dash that could cause problems? It sounds just like a rock hitting the windshield. The first several times I heard it, I thought that's what it was. Has anyone found a solution?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Does make the same noise if you start it up and don't drive?

Peter

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer and I get this noise. Has anyone found the solution?

Hi All, I have been having this crackling issue since I bought my 2016 explorer. I have brought it in 3 times but they have not fixed it or found a solution. I plan on bringing it back in soon. I had 1 dealership hear the noise but did not fix it, which is very frustrating on their top model and for over $50k. Please help!!

Hi All, I have been having this crackling issue since I bought my 2016 explorer. I have brought it in 3 times but they have not fixed it or found a solution. I plan on bringing it back in soon. I had 1 dealership hear the noise but did not fix it, which is very frustrating on their top model and for over $50k. Please help!!
Have you been able to isolate where the noise is coming from? If not, a technician may have the same issue. These types of random noises are not easy to track down and could be several things. Unless it can be traced to a specific item, there is no sense in even pulling the dash apart. Is it possible to say whether it may be connected to the heating system or is it there all the time? I understand this can be very annoying no matter which trim level you drive. Good lick.

Peter

thanks for the warm welcome. the sound is a crackling/popping sound coming from the center console just under the navigation. it makes my wife and I jump every time. honestly, I am embarrassed to take people in my truck. My wife has a 2013 edge and I previously owned a 2014 fusion and did not have this or any problems. I hate bringing my car in for repairs, especially noises, because the noise is not all the time but definitely more frequent when the heat is on and it's cold outside. any help would be much appreciated. My explorer only has 13k miles. I was planning on keeping this truck for a long time, so I want this resolved while under warranty.

This is my first post to this forum. I did a quick search of my issue, but didn't find any posts addressing it. If there is one, please direct me to it.

I have owned a 2016 Explorer Limited for about one year. It has the navigation system. In the past few months, I have noticed an intermittent popping sound coming from the center of the dash or console area. The sound, as I can best describe it, is like the sound a thin plastic water bottle makes as it expands when it warms up. Like a water bottle, it will pop once at random times. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what was the solution to stopping it?

This is my first post to this forum. I did a quick search of my issue, but didn't find any posts addressing it. If there is one, please direct me to it.

I have owned a 2016 Explorer Limited for about one year. It has the navigation system. In the past few months, I have noticed an intermittent popping sound coming from the center of the dash or console area. The sound, as I can best describe it, is like the sound a thin plastic water bottle makes as it expands when it warms up. Like a water bottle, it will pop once at random times. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what was the solution to stopping it?
Of the threads I found on popping noises etc, this seemed to be the best on to merge with.
It could be that the noise IS caused by expansion of certain items within the dash, In some cases there seems to be varying degrees of spacing between the dash and the centre stack. Is this something that just started to occur or has it always been there?

Peter

Of the threads I found on popping noises etc, this seemed to be the best on to merge with.
It could be that the noise IS caused by expansion of certain items within the dash, In some cases there seems to be varying degrees of spacing between the dash and the centre stack. Is this something that just started to occur or has it always been there?

Peter

It is something that started a few months ago. I will probably ask the dealer about it when I go for my next oil change.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back