Popping sound from speakers after big 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Popping sound from speakers after big 3

sman83

Reaction score
City, State
Reno,NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountaineer
Yesterday I did the big three on my 99 moutaineer, prior to this everything worked fine, I did the alt pos to the distribution block to the battery pos, and the neg battery to the chasis. I didnt have time yesterday to do the engine block to to the neg on the battery.

The system is charging better then before holds at 14.02-14.03v, but when I turn up the stereo past one on the volume or change the radio stations I get a popping sound out of the speakers, 6x8's in the door.

My setup is a sub and amp and 4 6x8s and a amp, cap, disto block, optima battery.

I think I may have popped something on the 6x8's amp that would cause the popping sound, but would like to know what everyone here thinks.

Thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Possibly your new grounds are no good. Or, you are now hearing induced noise (god I hope not, it's tough to alleviate). Try changing ground points first, as it's easier.

Will try

I put the battery to chasis ground back in the original spot as the factory one. I will try and clean the area and retry it if that doesnt work then I will move it to another spot.

Finished it all

I just now finished the big 3 in its entirety and sanded the ground down. All of the original wiring is still there, but the speakers still pop and the sub pops when music is playing.

Any ideas?

Unhook the RCA's from the amps (while turned off!), and then turn on the stereo. See if you have any noise at that point.

Thought of something else: is it a Pioneer head unit by any chance?

When i had my old HU, when i would change the station, or song on a cd, JUST my subs (15" kickers) would make the loudest THUMP ever, so i got one of those In-Line noise supressors (13$ at meijers) and put it to my amp, and it didnt do that anymore, try getting one of those for each amp you have, switch the rca's (l to r, r to l) if it doesnt work at first

Are any of the cables loose? You may be hearing it connect and disconnect.

Its the antannae

After checking everthing I finally pulled out the head unit and found that the stereo is grounding itself through the antannae.

I had the HU grounded to the battery originally, and through my haste accidentally hooked it up to the positive post on the battery without realizing it until now. Once I corrected the problem, moved the HU ground to the negative on the battery I still have the same problem.

I am concerned that I burnt up my head unit from hooking up the ground to the positive, but it still works minus the popping and grounding through the antannae..

Any ideas?

Is it a Pioneer?

Yes it is. It's a pioneer deh-6000usb something like that. Organic oel, USB port and 3 sets of rca preouts.

Back