• Register Today It's free!

Possible Brake Problem?

Alex3

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Ford Ranger
I have a 2009 Ranger, 23,000 km. Lately, the brakes do not seem to be as sensitive as they were before and I seem to have to press down harder even when braking from a low speed. I used to be able to brake with no lurching forward and back if I decelerated gradually, but now the truck lurches a bit when I stop even if I decelerate slowly down to 0 km/hr. Sometimes, it sounds like something is shifting around when I brake. I thought it was the cement blocks in the back of the truck, so I removed the blocks, but I still hear the noise. The brake linings were inspected in April: front was 7mm, rear was 5mm. Does this sound like the brake pads need to be replaced or something more? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its possable you just have an air bubble in the lines? Its a free fix to try if nothing else..

First, just because you dont get a quick response, dont post another thread for the same topic, its generally frowned upon.

Now for your brakes, pull off the front wheels, and check the caliper slide bolts, make sure they aren't loose, if they are, take them out and apply blue loctite and then re-install. You could also check the mounting bracket while your in there.

After this is done post your results and we can go from there.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback! I have never used a forum before so this is new to me. I inadvertently posted my thread in the wrong place, so I posted it in the correct forum, hence the duplication. I should probably mention that I have no experience with vehicles other than topping up my windshield fluid:). I'm trying to get an idea of what might be wrong so when I contact the Ford Service department, I will know what to ask them to look at/for. Thanks again.

I assume the vehicle is still under warranty?
If thats the case and your not paying for the service then you should just say you have a brake problem and they will solve it.
If you are paying for this out of your own pocket i would recommend going to a reputable shop that isn't a dealer as dealers generally overcharge.

No problem with the double post, im sure one of the moderators will see it and delete the other thread.

Good Luck

It is under warranty. I'd just like to ensure they take me seriously so the more informed I am, the better.

Thanks.

Dawn

I'm assuming your truck is still under warranty, and if it is then perhaps a trip to the dealer is in order.

Back