Possible cheap fix for rotten body mount bushings? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible cheap fix for rotten body mount bushings?

mattcc88

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
As will soon be revealed, I don't know too much about the body/frame aspects of auto repair, especially welding. However, this idea came to me in a dream.

Problem: my body frame mount bushings are completely shot, most are probably gone. This causes a loud banging in the rear of my Explorer when going over even the slightest bumps (the body and frame, which is weighed down by the rear bumper, bang against each other).
-2001 Ford Explorer Sport SOHC 193,000 miles. I'd like to keep it for 2 more years until I graduate.

I've been quoted about $1,200 to replace the bushings at a local 4x4 shop and from other threads on this site, I feel it is a bit out of my expertise to attempt on my own.

Possible solution?: Welding the body and frame together at the site of the missing bushing (passenger side rear). Would this be possible (is there enough metal to weld)? Is it legal/safe? Would it even fix the problem?

EDIT: would a body shop be allowed/willing to do this?

Any thoughts, criticisms, insults welcome.

Thanks,
Matt :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As will soon be revealed, I don't know too much about the body/frame aspects of auto repair, especially welding. However, this idea came to me in a dream.

Problem: my body frame mount bushings are completely shot, most are probably gone. This causes a loud banging in the rear of my Explorer when going over even the slightest bumps (the body and frame, which is weighed down by the rear bumper, bang against each other).
-2001 Ford Explorer Sport SOHC 193,000 miles. I'd like to keep it for 2 more years until I graduate.

I've been quoted about $1,200 to replace the bushings at a local 4x4 shop and from other threads on this site, I feel it is a bit out of my expertise to attempt on my own.

Possible solution?: Welding the body and frame together at the site of the missing bushing (passenger side rear). Would this be possible (is there enough metal to weld)? Is it legal/safe? Would it even fix the problem?

Thanks,

No, don't.

The parts can be had cheap. The work is not as difficult as it has been made out to be and only requires everyday tools. I recently did a thread about this in the sport trac subforum. The sport wouldn't be much different.

Thanks,

i don't believe welding will work in this situation. the metal of the body is to thin and the rubber mount is there for a reason. if you can locate replacement mounts, it's pretty easy to change them yourself and will cost you way less than $1200. there's basically a long bolt that runs through the frame and mount which screws into the body. a floor jack and some pieces of wood would provide enough lift to remove the old mount and install the new one(s). check the LMC Truck catalog page 27 for body mounts.

Even if the weld was successful it would crack in no time due to body flex.
That's why the rubber mounts are there.

Back