• Register Today It's free!

Possible Engine Ping?

sledgehammer1990

Reaction score
City, State
Doylestown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I have had an engine ping when I first bought my explorer back in May of 2008 and I cleaned off the MAS and it went away. The Ping is back again and I don't know what else I can do.

I spent my day off from work today doing a tune up on my explorer.

Oil Change - Mobile 5000
Oil Filter - FRAM Tough Guard
Air Filter
Spark Plugs
Wires - ProStart

I have 125,000 miles on it and I have no idea what could be causing the ping. It seems to only happen when I am heading up hill and hit 2,000 RPM or higher. More gas, the louder it is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check your intake manifold for loose bolts .mine was ping'ing really bad till i discovered mine were all finger loose .re-did them and no more ping .

Have you clean the MAF again? I use to have that problem with a '94 T-Bird that I use to have. I use to have to clean the MAF about every 6 months because it was really sensative. Another cause could be that the Cats are getting plugged. I had that happen on my Cobra when I first bought it.

I was just driving around today and the exhaust pipe snaped in half. I am at the shop now getting it welded. Could the timing be off?

I would say it's hard to get the timing off on these things, but I'll let someone who knows more about how the timing works on these 4.0L's chime in on that one.

In the mean time, I read your post while I was at work, went outside on a break and noticed this.....

P1040950.jpg

LOL, so I'm in your boat on this one, gonna have to get that fixed soon I guess ><

I would say it's hard to get the timing off on these things, but I'll let someone who knows more about how the timing works on these 4.0L's chime in on that one.

In the mean time, I read your post while I was at work, went outside on a break and noticed this.....

P1040950.jpg

LOL, so I'm in your boat on this one, gonna have to get that fixed soon I guess ><

I'm glad I dont live in a rust state. :p:

I don't either! But the truck did most of it's life, Virgina in fact..... This tuck has more rust underneath and in the engine bay then steel anymore. ><, As time goes on I'm going to be fixing that! LOL

I was surprised really. I don't have much rust under mine at all.

Good start on the maintenance there! Stop using the FRAM filters in the future, go with Napa Gold, Wix, Bosch, Mobil, Purolator or any other brand. Get that exhaust fixed. Fix any check engine light issues. Use 87 Octane gas. See if the pinging stops or is gone before digging in more. Fix anything you can find that is wrong first.

Actually, I haven't heard the pinging in awhile. I am going to take the trailer I will be towing out on Tuesday and see if the pinging comes back.

Have you been babying it? If you don't rev it out enough, carbon will build up and it will ping. My friend bought a 4.0 ranger that was driven by a grandpa, damn thing pinged like hell. We Seafoam'd it, the ping went away and it hasn't been back because he actually drives it.

I definitely don't baby it. I am usually accelerate pretty hard. I have already sea foamed it too.

Back