Possible VIN typo...? 1999 Explorer 5.0 AWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible VIN typo...? 1999 Explorer 5.0 AWD

skpyle

Reaction score
City, State
Blacksburg, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Limited 5.0 AWD
Hello Gentlemen,

I may or may not have a problem. (Good intro, I know...) I recently bought a 1999 Explorer 5.0 AWD. I am trying to purchase a subscription to alldatadiy. They didn't list 1999 AWD, only 4WD. They asked me to send the VIN and production date of my Explorer to them. No problem.

I just sent the info to them, as well as a photo of the production sticker from the driver's side door. Since I had the VIN, I figured I would decode it using the Ford service manual I bought.

Here is the VIN:

1FMZU35P4XZB81138

Here is my problem. According to the service manual, code 'U85' designates AWD drivetrain. Too bad mine clearly says 'U35'...

Here is the photo of the production sticker:

image-4.jpg

Here is a photo of my Explorer:

image-1.jpg

So, my Explorer is still up in Ohio, I won't be able to fly up to get it until July. I can't go out and stick my head underneath to check the drivetrain. I purchased this from my mother. She says its AWD. It has been dealer serviced its entire life. They say its AWD. However, I can't see any kind of AWD badging on the body, and the VIN has a discrepancy as per the decoder in the service manual.

Can anyone offer any insight for me?

Thanks!

Seth K. Pyle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like it might be a typo in the book you are using because what I have says.
U22 — Explorer (2-door), 4x2
U32 — Explorer (4-door), 4x2
U24 — Explorer (2-door), 4x4
U34 — Explorer (4-door), 4x4
U35 — Explorer (4-door), AWD
U52 — Mountaineer (4-door) 4x2
U54 — Mountaineer (4-door) 4x4
U55 — Mountaineer (4-door) AWD

As you see U85 is not even an option.

Thanks for replying, gentlemen!

Rickybobby, I did know that. I remember doing research and wondering why there were no 5.0 4WD's. Also, to my knowledge, the wheels on my Explorer are the ones needed to clear the AWD/4WD hubs, and normally weren't used on 2WD Explorers. Correct?
Thanks!

R1dd1ck, you might be onto something. I just did a bunch of google searching on Explorer and Ford VIN's. I kept seeing explorer stuff as being 'U3x'. However, I did come across a listing for 2000 model year VIN's off a Ford site. It listed 'U85' as the drive train code for an AWD Limited Explorer, which is what I have. I don't have my service manual in front of me, but I clearly remember it reading 'U85' for AWD Limited.

So, my VIN is probably correct, and my service manual may be for a 2000 instead of a 1999.

When I get home, I will check the service manual.

Thanks!

Seth K. Pyle

I think I have figured out part of my confusion. I got a good look at my service manual. It is titled: Ford Explorer Service 1996-2001. Hmm...not necessarily year specific.

Here is a screenshot from the page in the manual that lists drive train codes. This is where I got the 'U85' from.

I think I will try to hunt down a specific 1999 Explorer service manual, if one exists.

Thanks!

Seth K. Pyle

Attachments

• Explorer drivetrain codes screenshot.PNG
    Explorer drivetrain codes screenshot.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 419

Sweet!
Thanks, obie!

Seth K. Pyle

Also, to my knowledge, the wheels on my Explorer are the ones needed to clear the AWD/4WD hubs, and normally weren't used on 2WD Explorers. Correct?
Thanks!

'95+ did not use any type of locking hub so there is nothing exposed the the wheels are the same between 4x2 and 4x4. They are the correct wheels for the '99-'01 Limiteds though.

there's no doubt about it. it's AWD. V8's (which your's is) were only available with RWD or AWD. there is no badging that designates AWD.

that's what i don't like about service manuals that cover multiple years. they often don't account for minor (and sometimes not so minor) differences between years.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, you have open diffs with 3.73 gears.

IAmTodd, thanks, I did not know that. Makes sense, though.

Koda2000, thanks, I wasn't sure about the badging. I trust my mother, and the dealership it's been serviced at. I don't think they'd BS me about the AWD.
However, I've been a gearhead, and an industrial maintenance tech long enough to trust only what I see in front of me, and not necessarily what I'm told.
:D

Obie, I actually got that part right. Kinda bummed about not having an LSD out back...

Thanks, guys!

Seth K. Pyle

Thanks, SoNic67!

I just used that link to download the owner's manual to my iPad.

I appreciate it!

Seth K. Pyle

Uhhhh...we'll see.

:D

Thanks!

Seth K. Pyle

and for when you want to ditch the AWD so you can have 2wd, 4hi, and 4low
Why ruin a perfectly good car? The 4x4 is just a simple 2WD 99.999% of the time. If you don't do rock crawling is useless.

Why ruin a perfectly good car? The 4x4 is just a simple 2WD 99.999% of the time. If you don't do rock crawling is useless.

here we go.

how would you ruin it by changing to a 4x4 transfer case? awd is a full time four wheel drive. going to a manual 4406 lets you control when its in 4x4.

benefits
you lose the "heavy" steering wheel feel.
you free up power
you gain 2mpg
if you have to buy tires, you dont have to replace all four at once (this is kinda helpful if you blow a tire out)
you have 4 low for people that say are towing boat trailers and need a lower gear if they are on a incline.

down side
you have to cut a hole in the floor for the shifter

also, not everyone that rock craws uses this transfer case. my truck is a lowered street truck that will only see snow in its life. when i did the 5L swap, the awd case never even made it into the truck.
with that said

If you don't do rock crawling is useless.

i will have to say, you sir are incorrect.

Sorry, I am staying away from that argument. :eek:

For what it is worth, I bought a Ford Workshop Manual specific to 1999 Explorers and Mountaineers. I shows the correct drivetrain codes.

Thanks!

Seth K. Pyle

Back