Possibly Bad Front Driveshaft...Which Route To Go? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possibly Bad Front Driveshaft...Which Route To Go?

zman7125

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
Hey guys I think the front drive shaft on my 2000 Ford Explorer 5.0L V8 AWD is on its way out. Since I bought the truck its had a slight vibration to the front end. I had the entire front end replaced (Sway Bar Links, Ball Joints, Tie Rod Ends, Wheel Bearings/Hub, Both CV Axles) in addition to balancing the tires and it still has a vibration that seems to be getting worse. The truck has the typical bind/growl when at low speeds and turning as if I was in 4WD on dry pavement. The truck only has 60k on it but is 14 years old and the truck is extremely rusted underneath. The tires are all the same and have the same amount of wear and tire pressure.

I found this driveshaft from Advance Auto Parts that I could have shipped to my house, was wondering if anyone's had any experience with them? If not which route should I go? Thanks for the help in advance!

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_driveshaft-crs_10335255-p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The AWD has the shorter shaft. I order exact the same one and had to take it back, it was 1" longer. I found out that is possible to rebuild the shaft for much less (especially when you use the codes given by retailmenot.com).
See my thread here.

The AWD has the shorter shaft. I order exact the same one and had to take it back, it was 1" longer. I found out that is possible to rebuild the shaft for much less (especially when you use the codes given by retailmenot.com).
See my thread here.

Awesome, ill just end up rebuilding it with all the part #s you have listed. Thanks man!

Good luck!

Hope that the front U-Joint is not as rusted as mine. It was impossible to pull the cap with just a pair of pliers, I had to clamp it in the vise and rotated the whole shaft to remove it.

Have you pulled the front shaft and drove it? If the vibration is still there it rules it out.

^ Don't drive it without driveshaft more than a few driveway lengths!

I haven't pulled it yet, I'm going to but I'm almost positive that's the problem. I love this truck it runs great, has low miles but being in Buffalo all it's life has taken its toll. Interior is mint black paint shines up nice but the rockers are about gone...such a shame. 13 MPG blows but it's phenomenal in the snow. I'm gonna sell it come April when I pull my '95 F150 back out, I'd keep it if it wasn't so rotted, bet this thing was awesome off the showroom.

Back