Power Distribution box keep blowing fuse??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Distribution box keep blowing fuse???

TheDodgeWraith

Reaction score
City, State
Ft.Lauderdale FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Exp
Hey guys, I have a 1997 ford explorer 4.0sohc thats completly stock. The other day the fuse number 10 which is a 30amp in the power distribution box blew. I then tried to replace it but as soon as the new fuse went in, it blew. At the time, the window was down and the fuse that continues to blow, controls the windows,door locks, and dash lights. So just tryin to get the window up I used a 50amp fuse, which did nothing but get hot. I tried using a 20amp fuse and that blew too. I tried doing some research but found little. One thing I read said I have to check the circuit. Not really sure how to do that. Any suggestions????? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check for shorts in the wire or bad grounds, there is a ground wire that runs right off the box, check that first. then your gonna have to get a wiring diagram and find out which wires are the ones that run out the box to all the accessories, find them and check for obvious flaws such as tears in the wire and other miscellaneous grounds. If all that fails then you'll need a circuit tester. And BTW never put a bigger fuse in, the 30 amp is a 30 amp for a reason there's an obvious flaw in the system and that fuse is doing its job by blowing, putting a 50 amp in could cause you to burn up your window motors, locks etc...

Although putting in a 50amp is NOT a good idea (as suggested), it does tend to indicate that your short is NOT a "casual type thing" like a little piece of wire or such lightly touching ground and would have melted or "smoked" itself. Its a HARD short, a bare power wire touching metal somewhere. You have to start unplugging things... start by unplugging the battery saver and accessory delay relay.... these will "break" some of the circuit paths eliminating some of the wiring. IF your fuse stays OK (hard way to test but that's another story), then you know your problem is in the wiring after those relays. IF it still blows, you know the problem is before. Most likely place for your problem is under the dash going toward the relay module in the IP (mid center).

Cool thanks guys, i will give it a shot and let you know of my findings. Thanks again for your help.

Back