Power Door Locks - should they lock automatically when truck is put in gear?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Door Locks - should they lock automatically when truck is put in gear??

jyams73

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ranger XLT
I recently purchased an 04 XLT with power accessories. Everything works great. However, I have noticed that when I get in and start the truck, the doors do not automatically lock like they do in most vehicles with power door locks. Is this normal or should they automatically lock at some point when the ignition is started, put in gear or brake applies, any of the normal initiatives that cause the doors to lock for security reasons?

I'm thinking that they should be locking, but maybe the some programming needs to be done. Any answers out there??

Many thanks,
RC
Memphis, TN

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum

Yes you can search for autolock and follow the steps to program it

Has anyone been successful reprogramming for Autolock?

I found the instructions for other models in this forum and followed. I got all the way through hearing the short horn beep indicating that the RAP was in the programming mode. However, after that, there seems to be no indicator or feature to program. In other words, I can't get the programming to work. I was encouraged to hear the RAP module engage, but after that, i can't get it to program for autolock. If anyone has done this successfully on an 04 Ranger XLT with factory power locks I would like to know.

Thanks.
RC
Memphis, Tenn:mad:

what models did you find instructions for?

Rangers do not have the autolock feature.

everyone i have asked has given me the same answer.

Usually it is when the truck is put in gear and reaches a certain nominal wheel speed. The Ranger doesn't offer that option AFAIK. Which is great- I hate Autolock. It was always the first thing I deactivated. Hated pulling out of the garage, getting out to go around the truck to get something out of the back and the damn doors are locked. Mine never unlocked when I put it back in park. Ugh.

Wait- Beltminder. I hate that one almost as much.

Back