Rear end in my 1999 ranger tilts up when taking off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear end in my 1999 ranger tilts up when taking off

wdpropes

Reaction score
City, State
Frankfort, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ranger xlt sport
I have a 1999 ranger 4x4 with an automatic transmission. I noticed a jerk when stopping and on acceleration. I had a friend watch when I gave it gas and the rear end where the drive shaft bolts on will flex upward when the gas is first applied. Also the power door lock will not unlock the doors all the time. You can hear a sound like it is trying to but it will not unlock. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it xcab if it is crawl under the truck with the engine off and parking break on. Grab a hold of your drive line and shake it. It could be your carrier bearing on the drive shaft or u joints.

I'm sorry. It is a super cab. Someone told me it was the slip yoke that is binding. Could that be the problem?

since you have a x cab it prob is the carrier its on the x member in the middle of your drive shaft mine went out in my 97 once

Is the carrier bearing hard to replace in a 99 ranger?

very common for these to fail, not too difficult or expensive to replace

Normal slack in driveshaft

Hey dude, That twist is normal driveline slack that you can't really fix without installing traction bars on the rear suspension. The 98 to current 4x4 models ALL experience this problem. This is coming from the horses mouth itself. Ford has tried to replace the slip yoke with a modified version with no luck. It won't hurt your truck at all either way. Also all underpinnings for the drive shaft were changed in 1998 so anything that causes a similar problem on 97 and older rangers won't apply to your situation. I have a 02 supercab 4x4 with a manual and I get the same thing under hard acceleration in all gears. I'm just planning on installing traction bars to stop the twisting motion. You should do the same. Exploror procomp makes some that will fit great. You can order them @stuffforyourranger.com

One more thing..you do NOT have a carrier bearing. That's only on 97 and older rangers with a SOLID front axle.

And as for your lock problem. It sounds like your actuator is going out. But it could also be as simple as a bad connection at the switch.

I have a 1999 ranger 4x4 with an automatic transmission. I noticed a jerk when stopping and on acceleration. I had a friend watch when I gave it gas and the rear end where the drive shaft bolts on will flex upward when the gas is first applied. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Had the same problem with the thumping and jerking when coming to a stop and when accelerating from a stop. It's the slip joint on the rear driveshaft.

A) Remove the driveshaft
B) take the clamps off the boot
C) slide the joint apart
D) using a good molly grease, liberally grease both sides of the slip joint
E) slide the joint back together and install new clamps on the boot
F) reinstall the driveshaft and the thump/jerk will be, for the most part, gone.

There will always be a very, very slight bump because of the design, but the difference will be night and day. Trust me.

I have a 1999 ranger 4x4 with an automatic transmission. I noticed a jerk when stopping and on acceleration. I had a friend watch when I gave it gas and the rear end where the drive shaft bolts on will flex upward when the gas is first applied.
I have had 3 Rangers and they all had the slip/bump syndrome. I used to drive F150s at work and they did it too.

The problem is related to axle wrap. Under acceleration, the axle rotates against the leaf springs and the nose of the diff pushes up and forward. The slip yoke is intended to allow the driveshaft length to vary throughout the suspension travel but it can also move when the axle counter rotates against the torque applied to the rear wheels/tires.

When freshly greased, the splines slide freely and the slip yoke takes up the axle's motion smoothly and there is little or no bump. After time, the slip yoke can begin to bind when torque is applied across it. When the push of the diff overcomes the friction in the splines, it allows the axle to jump to its new position. This sudden movement is the bump that is felt through the chassis.

I have greased the slip yoke splines and it does eliminate the bump temporarily. The problem is that the slip/bump always returned in a few weeks or a few months. I have also tried the special Ford PTFE grease specified in the TSB for this application ($25/can!). Same story.

When I installed James Duff traction bars on my current Ranger, the problem was corrected immediately at its source. Control the axle wrap and you eliminate the slip/bump. I have had no further problems since the installation of the JD's three years ago.

I'm going to agree with the axle wrap idea, it was my first thought on it as well. But I havent heard of the other issue before so I cant comment on that.

@Motojcf, pre 97 rangers didn't have a solid front axle either, they had the TTB suspension which was just a different form of independand front suspension.

Back