Power liftgate won't open or close with dash button | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power liftgate won't open or close with dash button

msams8979

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST
So the dash button for my liftgate isn't working. It works on my remote, on the liftgate itself and by swiping my foot. Any ideas or am I back to the dealer? Thanks!

2020 ST by the way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the transmission in PARK when you push the dash button to activate the liftgate? I believe the dash button functions only when in PARK.

Did the dash button ever work or is this a new issue? If it never worked, then it's possible the wiring isn't connected to the dash button and it's been that way since your Explorer left the factory.

Yeah I've tried park, neutral, and drive. It's never worked but I've only had the car a week. I was curious if I was just missing something.

I have found that mine always opens, but rarely closes using the dash button. When trying to close it generally just bongs at me.

Yeah I've tried park, neutral, and drive. It's never worked but I've only had the car a week. I was curious if I was just missing something.
Take it back to the dealer. I'm not at my computer right now so I can't check the Manual but the 5th gen had a liftgate reset procedure.

Peter

Mine was a bigger issue where the module for the liftgate had to be replaced as it would not close with either of the three buttons...

Jay

There is no 'liftgate reset' procedure in the 2020 Owner's Manual. Take it to the dealer.

Peter

My lift gate has had a mind of it's own since new. Sometimes it will only go up half way, other times is won't open from the dash, and worst of all, if you stand too close to the bumper when removing items the damn thing will close on your head. I've learned to ignore it.:shoot:

I have found that mine will always open with the dash button, but at times it will not close with it unless I open and close the driver's door! :banghead:

Looks like I'm not the only one with an issue. I'll add it to list for the dealer to look at. Thanks all.

My lift gate has had a mind of it's own since new. Sometimes it will only go up half way, other times is won't open from the dash, and worst of all, if you stand too close to the bumper when removing items the damn thing will close on your head. I've learned to ignore it.:shoot:

Steve:

I had the same issues also intermittently when it wouldn't close.

The Lift Gate Module was replaced and I have had no problems [knock on bald head] since then. Keep that in mind...

Jay

Back