• Register Today It's free!

Power Lock Issue

skidoofan

Reaction score
City, State
Brookings, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
I've a 96 Explorer in which the driver's door lock buzzes when trying to unlock the doors with remote. The 2nd push on the button will unlock the other doors but the driver's still buzzes. Since we've owned the vehicle - 1.5 years - the key has never unlocked the driver's door. It has a key pad to unlock but that won't work now either...due to same issue...buzzing acutator or whatever is causing it. We've also had the issue with the remote and power lock buttons never locking the driver's door...assumption is the broken spring issue on outside handle??

Any ideas on the power lock would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a problem with my driver door not locking too, what happened was the rivet that holds the power door lock actuator broke from the door where it was mounted so it was unable to pull or push the door lock up and down. It was a pretty easy fix.

The buzzing you hear is most likely the lock actuator spinning it's gears because it is broken. If the actuator doesn't work, thekeypad will not unlock that door either.

Many times if the actuator becomes stuck, the key will not unlock it either.

Put simply, you need a lock actuator in that door

I did find out that the actuator has come loose from the door frame. How does a person reattach it to the correct position? Thanks!

Back