Power Seats Wiring Diagram

chron_bon

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993, XL 4 Dr 4x4 315k km
Hey,

So my explorer has power seats that must have been installed by someone a while ago, and look very hastily put together. Currently, the connector isn't getting any power. They don't look like they were properly done, based off of the gauge of the wires used. Not sure what it is exactly, but somewhere around 20AWG.

So, the seats have never worked for me but were in a position that fit me well. But now some friends are going to be borrowing it and will need the seats to be adjustable, so I'm planning to get them working.

My first step was just checking the fuse underneath the hood, and it wasn't there. So I put in a 60A fuse, which is what the image in the fuse box called for for the power seats, and still now power to the seats. This leads me to believe that the seats weren't getting power from the correct source when installed. I decided to check to see if any fuses were blown in the fuse box under the driver foot well in case they tapped off of something that couldn't handle the load, but all those fuses have continuity. At this point I figure I may as well wire them up properly.

I took a look in the Haynes manual wiring diagram and can't find the power seats anywhere. I've double and triple checked, but could still be missing them.

Could anybody provide a wiring diagram that shows which wire connects to the 60A fuse under the hood?

Thanks!

PS, the seats appear to be ford power seats for this model, and just require the 2 pin connector.

That's going to be a DARK GREEN wire... if it's there. You can look for it leaving the power distribution box, and at the big bulkhead connector near the master brake cylinder. After that, it's deep in the dashboard, and if you don't have connectors for it at the seats, then you have some wiring to do. The reason why it isn't documented well is because it changes with different trim levels.

Good Luck!

BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products and Turbochargers | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

POWER SEAT.JPG

There is a dark green heavy gauge wire (12 gauge) in the main harness coming through the firewall driver side. The green wire goes from the firewall connector into a plug about 6" away, with several other wires of the main interior harness. The green wire ends at the plug on manual seat Explorers. If the green wire does not continue in the main interior harness, it did not originally come with power seats. I know this because the donor I used to rebuild my Explorer did not have the green wire past that plug, but did have the wire at the firewall to the plug, about 6" away. If you see the wire in the firewall side of the plug, put that 60 amp fuse back and see if it has constant voltage. If it does, it would be easy to run new wiring to the seats from that point, and the wiring would be protected by the OEM fuse. The original wiring ran down the channel on the driver side and followed the main harness under the rear seats all the way over to the passenger side where it powered the seats. I ran it down the channel to the driver seat and cut across that way. I think there are two plugs in the driver seat and one in the passenger seat. One driver seat plug should be for the seat belt warning and wired separately. It is the same manual/power seats.

This is the only picture I could find of the seat wiring the way I did it.
20171013_170227.jpg

Back